Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud Lessons on Youtube
wally1212
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 08:43 AM
Oud Lessons on Youtube

Hi All!

For the past year and a half I have been learning the Oud in Egypt. I've had the opportunity of sitting with some great teachers who have taught me a lot and have made me a much stronger player.

I was wise enough to record most of my lessons with these teachers. I did that for two reasons; 1)I wanted to keep a video collection of all these lessons because I felt that these lessons ought to be documented and collected for their own sake. 2) I wanted to have something to go back to in case I forgot part of a composition or just needed a refresher. I have now realized a third and very important reason for recording these videos; to be shared!! I remember how incredibly frustrating it was to learn the oud on my own and watching videos trying to imitate what I was seeing and hearing, until I sat down with an able teacher and oud-player who showed me the proper way of doing things. After that, progress seemed to wash down on me and I got a lot better and it was because I was shown how things were done. It's for this reason that I wanted to share these videos with everybody else.

The videos include a lot of exercises on a wide variety of maqams, and a handful of compositions. The videos for the most part won't have any verbal explanation of what is going on, and if there is it's in Arabic, however the exercises are played very slowly and are filmed up close so that you can see what the right and left hand are doing. I've uploaded three videos (there's at least 50 of these) for now but I'll keep updating the channel as times goes. There isn't any structure to how the videos are categorized but I'll think of something as the number of videos increase (maybe categorize them based on maqam or something).

I really credit these lessons to any progress I made on the oud and I hope you get as much out of them as I did. If you have any questions about the videos please ask me.

P.S. I will not nor do I intend to make any money from this.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF7FQ-9HRh1Pwekdks9NPLA/videos

Thanks,
Waleed
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 10:51 AM

Thanks Waleed this is very cool
Almelaifi
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 11:14 AM

Waleed, this is going to be so much appreciated.

Thank you so much, and please keep uploading the videos..
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 07:53 PM

That's awesome. :applause: I'm going to share this on the Oud for Guitarists facebook page so everyone can share it.

wally1212
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 04:55 AM

You're very welcome Almelaifi and Jason!

That's great Navid! I've been following your stuff since you started. Thanks a lot man! :)
Gocauo
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 10:15 AM

Following....thanks for uploading.
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-23-2015 at 03:23 AM

thank'you very much!!! :applause:

Go To Top