Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mihran Mississian 1932
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-25-2015 at 07:10 AM
Mihran Mississian 1932

This is a new (old) oud by Mihran Mississian, Damascus 1932, itjust joined my 2 other old Armenian guys: the Sumbat Der Bedrossian and Leon Stanbuli.

A simple yet amazing oud. The rosette is lost.
The old owner installed a pick-up mic inside :(
it has a 60 cm stringlemgth, 36x50 body and 3.3cm nut with an ultra slim pegbox.
with the pegs and the mic iinside, the oud weights an amazing 810 gr.
It has worn out string but I am keeping them for now, I like sometimes the sound of old strings.

[file]36009[/file] [file]36011[/file] [file]36013[/file] [file]36015[/file]

[file]36021[/file]
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-25-2015 at 11:30 AM

Interesting that the sound board has just a single (ebony?) line inlay/reinforcement set back from the outside edge by a few mm - like the purfling on a violin. Is this a common feature found on Syrian ouds (or any style of oud for that matter)?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 7-25-2015 at 01:41 PM

I would be very surprised if that purfling was original.
Most likely, the soundboard needed to be removed for repairs at some point and the original tiled purfling was destroyed in the process.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-26-2015 at 05:11 AM

A closer look at the end view image of the oud suggests that the edge of the sound board may be fitted with a plain white hardwood banding strip as there does not appear to be any continuity of the sound board wood grain across the black line purfling which would be the case if the purfling had been set in a channel cut into the sound board (like a violin).

Was this banding original or a result of sound board repair? Probably hard to say for sure but the bowl has been subject to internal repair with sound board removed to judge from rib joint paper reinforcement strips that are glued over the edges of the maker's label (so presumably are not an original feature).
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-26-2015 at 05:29 AM

Thanks John and Brian for your remarks.
In fact it is just the shadow, the White wood is just the thickness of the bowl rib, the space between the soundboard and the bowl is empty, probably due to a repair, may be what damaged the rosette and the wood around it as the diameter of the hole is now 13 cm

[file]36027[/file] [file]36029[/file]
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-26-2015 at 07:54 AM

Ah - so an optical illusion after all! So the oud is destined for a bit of restoration work to replace missing sound board edge tiles and rosette?
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-26-2015 at 10:49 AM

Indeed, the oud could use some restoration work, I wonder if the absence of a binding affects the sound and the energy transmitted to the bowl, but the sound is sweet.
For the rosette i still need to find some Mussissian original designs, it seems very rare.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-26-2015 at 11:51 AM

How interesting that the oud functions well without the sound board edges being connected to the ribs (except at the neck and tail blocks of the bowl and at the brace positions). In this state the oud is somewhat structurally weaker so this will no doubt have some influence on acoustic response of the sound board.
Also the air resonance frequency will be affected with the more flexible top (lowering frequency) and additional thin 'sound hole' around the edge of the sound board (increasing frequency). Don't ask me by how much either way as I am still trying to understand the acoustics of conventional sound hole arrangements!!

The addition of a rosette will have little influence on air resonance frequency.

Go To Top