Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mel Bay Presents The Basics of Oud (Book and DVD)
stargazer200529
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-26-2015 at 05:58 PM
Mel Bay Presents The Basics of Oud (Book and DVD)

Hey, I am new to playing the Oud. I am looking for a beginner instructional video/books. I found Mel Bay Presents The Basics of Oud (Book and DVD), this seems to go more in depth than some of the other options out there. I browsed some other books on amazon, but most don't go into detail about holding the oud or stroking. I think these two are an important foundation to learning any instrument and I want to make sure I start out right.

My only concern with this resource, is it looks like it is geared toward the Arabic oud. I am interested in the Turkish tuning and music. Can this book still be used? Does anyone have any other recommendations?
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-27-2015 at 04:44 AM

This is a basic instruction manual for learning the oud written by forum member Marina Toshich. It covers the basics of both Arabic and Turkish oud and explains the differences. Although the music examples/studies included are written in notation for Arabic oud, information about Turkish tuning and transposition from Turkish notation to Arabic or common notation is covered in the text.
The book provides information on the basics of musical notation, tuning, holding and plucking the instrument etc. as well as useful advice on how to practice and information about Maqamat and Taqasim improvisation.
For a publication including DVD that is now available for under $20 it seems to me to be pretty good value as an introduction (in English) to playing oud.

Go To Top