Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Going to Montreal Next Week
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 10:33 AM
Going to Montreal Next Week

Hi All,

I am heading to Montreal with my family for a week, Aug. 17-23. Is there anything there that I shouldn't miss, CD shops, venues with live music, M.E./N.A. restaurants, etc.?

Merci beaucoup,
"Udi" John
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 12:48 PM

Before recommending Lebanese restos... you must eat a Shwartz smoked meat sandwich and you must eat a St-Viateur bagel fresh out of the oven, the 2 most historic Jewish culinary contributions to montreal. I never go back "home" without doing those 2 things.

Definitely for a typical Lebanese night Friday or Saturday you will want to check out restaurant Lordia. Its a 20 minute drive from downtown however. Very honest food fare and delicious I find. Beware that it is packed with Lebanese people who haven't really "left" Beirut so its going to be the authentic experience :)

You can expect the typical restaurant band setup which is a keyboard driven ensemble etc... they will play Arabic music classics... lots of dabke dancing and belly dancing. Its good fun but its impossible to find restaurants with traditional instruments.

right next to Lordia is a falafel shop called Freiha. It is world and famous if you like falafels.

If you want the best "shawarma" sandwish go to "boustan" on crescent street. Its downtown near many other attractions and its also world famous.

My personal hidden gem is a restaurant called Abou Elias its a local favorite "hole in the wall" its a butcher shop, with a huge charcoal grill. affordable and delicious.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
journeyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 07:17 PM

Samir has the goods; I would have run out of suggestions after Shwartz's and St. Viateur bagels. It's been years since I spent time in Montreal, but there are some great French style restaurants as well; if you dig around the internet you might find a couple of recommendations. Some restaurants allow you to bring your own wine. I'll have to check out Freiha next time .

roypatterson.com
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 11:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SamirCanada  
Before recommending Lebanese restos... you must eat a Shwartz smoked meat sandwich and you must eat a St-Viateur bagel fresh out of the oven, the 2 most historic Jewish culinary contributions to montreal. I never go back "home" without doing those 2 things.

Definitely for a typical Lebanese night Friday or Saturday you will want to check out restaurant Lordia. Its a 20 minute drive from downtown however. Very honest food fare and delicious I find. Beware that it is packed with Lebanese people who haven't really "left" Beirut so its going to be the authentic experience :)

You can expect the typical restaurant band setup which is a keyboard driven ensemble etc... they will play Arabic music classics... lots of dabke dancing and belly dancing. Its good fun but its impossible to find restaurants with traditional instruments.

right next to Lordia is a falafel shop called Freiha. It is world and famous if you like falafels.

If you want the best "shawarma" sandwish go to "boustan" on crescent street. Its downtown near many other attractions and its also world famous.

My personal hidden gem is a restaurant called Abou Elias its a local favorite "hole in the wall" its a butcher shop, with a huge charcoal grill. affordable and delicious.

Thanks for the leads, Samir! Will report back anything worth reporting!

All the best,
"Udi" John
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 12:14 PM

I was also hoping there might be some representation of Moroccan / North African culture in Montreal. Any good restaurants or CD shops of that type?

Lebanese and Palestinians are the top 2 Arab populations in the USA, but we have only a small North African community and no authentic N.A. restaurants in the San Francisco Bay Area...
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 04:23 AM

it's a huge North African community too. Many Moroccans and Algerians in Montreal.

There are certainly a few restaurants but I cant recommend any.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com

Go To Top