Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Neck bends backward
Oudmokum
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 03:15 AM
Neck bends backward

Hello musicians
As I said about a problem with the nut, I bought recently a oud which is obviously
a Syrian oud.
I know very few about the oud and don't know what to think about the quality.
It's obvious the maker saved on the wood quality of small pieces like the nut.
Now I'm waiting for a bone nut from Yaron Naor.
Another problem is a too low action because the neck bends backward.
Normally, the action is 2mm. If I set the strings a bit higher on the bridge, I can obtain 2.8 mm between neck and string |<- 2.8 ->O
But I still get a "near buzzing" sound on some strings. (It's very subtle but it remembers me of the Sitar)
Well, the strings may be too new to judge.
THE Question: since the sound holes are covered with a rosette and that the 'bracelet' seems to be definitively glued to neck and body, how much chance I have to find some screw in the bloc?
The fact that the neck bends backward could be an indication.
Thank in advance.

[file]36804[/file]
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 09:28 AM

There is normally no screw in the neck. The neck should be slightly backward (1-2mm) relative to the plane of the face to achieve a low action. Adjusting the string knot higher on the bridge is ok to raise the strings. In time the body will warp, causing the string height to increase. The angle of the neck is a way to prolong the adjustment to keep the action low.

If the strings buzz while open, the top nut may be too low, it should be at least 1mm above the fingerboard. If the buzzing occurs while fingering, there may be some grooves worn in the fingerboard under the wound strings that can cause buzzing. The fingerboard can be sanded down, but be sure to use a flat sanding block, longer than the neck to keep it flat. There could also be a problem with the strings, low tension or defective string winding, it happens.

Oudmokum
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 10:43 PM

Thank you Richard.

This some important information.
However some members here speak about screw system and the former owner told me something about a screw inside to modify the neck and action. Only I find it difficult to believe because of the rosette. I don't like the idea of removing the rosette.
On this oud the action is too low (less than 2mm) I will have to find a solution.
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 12:30 PM

The simplest solution is to add another fingerboard on top of the current one. This one can be tapered to provide the higher action.

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 01:32 PM

I'm confused by that proposal, Richard—in my experience adding a fingerboard lowers the action, it doesn't raise it (because the bridge is in the same position).

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 02:52 PM

A screwed neck assembly system is found on some modern oud designs (Syrian 'Sukar' ouds for example). The screwed assembly might also provide some facility for adjusting neck angle relative to the plane of the sound board and hence string action. This type of oud has an open sound hole for access to the interior screw mechanism
Unlikely to be found on a 'no name' oud with a rosette, however?
Oudmokum
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 04:09 PM

Indeed, and on that point I'm more and more convinced to let the rosettes alone. I think it's a good idea to ask a violin maker to put a tapered fingerboard. You know: higher by the nut and finishing by no thickness at all.

Thank you all for you advice. Your experience is very precious to me.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 04:56 PM

Posy a full pic of your oud.

That steing height (action) looks perfect

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Oudmokum
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-17-2015 at 11:48 PM

Hello Samir

I don't understand exactly what you mean, but anyway the picture with my 1st post is not my oud. I took another on the web because I did not succeed with mine.

Oudmokum
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-28-2015 at 07:34 AM

Just for the record: an answer as feedback.
The D strings keeping buzzing like a sitar, I decided to change the nut. Indeed, I noticed that the 2 strings being already quite close, they come more closer when you put a finger on it and thus buzz again each other. That's #1.
Wondering of the rosettes could vibrate and checking them with a finger, they 'spontaneously'(;) jumped inside the oud. So I could see the little butterfly nut inside and decided to loose it a bit. I had to force the neck to let it come back, which it did with a loud crack (varnish cracking by the 'bracelet'). Now I have 3.5 mm action (and quite a fast heart beat).
I thank you all for the help.

Go To Top