Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chakanlar Muzik Turkish Oud - HIGH SRTING ACTION
mesrop1991
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-18-2015 at 02:57 PM
Chakanlar Muzik Turkish Oud - HIGH SRTING ACTION

Hello Udi friends,

I have an oud, I think from around Ankra by "Cakanlar Muzik." It has been sitting around for 15 years with no care, in the hard case.

I decided to pick it up, and am starting to take lessons with John Vartan.

The oud has HIGH string action. The strings are to high above the fretboard. They get higher as my fingers get closer to the bridge. It seems like the bridge is too high. I think I have to remove, shave, and reglue the bridge.

Should I take measurements of the string height in different places to show you?

bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 9-19-2015 at 09:11 AM

Please share a few photos. However, the chances are that the neck might have shifted. This means it might need a neck reset. Sometimes the strings can be lowered on the bridge by drilling new holes and filling old holes. Rarely the nut is the cause of high action. I worked on John Vartan's ouds, if you have any issues you can bring it to me to have a look, I am in upstate, NY. Thanks!

-John Vergara

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 9-22-2015 at 06:34 AM

The neck might be loose - check for a gap with string tension or push the neck up carefully and look for any gap at the back of the neck.. The neck itself is very short and the tension rather low, so neck warp is rarely an issue unless it was made with unseasoned wood. The most common contributor to high string action is body warp. Over time any oud (any stringed instrument) will bend or warp under the constant string pressure. Resetting the neck is one solution, another is to add a fingerboard on to of the original. Lowering the strings at the bridge hampers plectrum action by reducing the distance to the face where you pluck the strings - not recommended.

mesrop1991
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-23-2015 at 11:51 AM

Richard,

I was actually able to get a hold of your book at the Princeton University Mendel Library. Very cool to look through. However, I'm still stumped on what to do with mine. I will post a video and some pictures. I'd love to hear your response.

Quote: Originally posted by Dr. Oud  
The neck might be loose - check for a gap with string tension or push the neck up carefully. The neck itself is very short and the tension rather low, so neck warp is rarely an issue unless it was made with unseasoned wood. The most common contributor to high string action is body warp. Over time any oud (any stringed instrument) will bend or warp under the constant string pressure. Resetting the neck is one solution, another is to add a fingerboard on to of the original. Lowering the strings at the bridge hampers plectrum action by reducing the distance to the face where you pluck the strings - not recommended.
mesrop1991
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-23-2015 at 11:54 AM

Here is a link to the video of my Oud in regard to the high string action. The neck, up to the point where the body is met, is straight! Adding height to the fretboard looks like it would be reasonable to me.

https://youtu.be/3aG4LefzWGQ

Im trying to figure out how to post pictures!
mesrop1991
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-23-2015 at 12:13 PM

[file]36918[/file] [file]36920[/file] [file]36916[/file]
mesrop1991
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-23-2015 at 12:15 PM

Thanks for the recommendation John. I've posted some pictures and a video as well. Look forward to hearing from you.

Quote: Originally posted by bulerias1981  
Please share a few photos. However, the chances are that the neck might have shifted. This means it might need a neck reset. Sometimes the strings can be lowered on the bridge by drilling new holes and filling old holes. Rarely the nut is the cause of high action. I worked on John Vartan's ouds, if you have any issues you can bring it to me to have a look, I am in upstate, NY. Thanks!

-John Vergara
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 9-28-2015 at 08:22 AM

Thanks mesrop1991,

I saw the photos and the video. I would liked to have seen a close up of the neck joint from the back. However seems the oud needs a neck reset. You could play on the oud like that, of course it would be uncomfortable, and the action certainly won't get better on its own.. it is likely to raise a little more over time. I notice an improvement in sound once neck resets are done, which makes sense since the organism (instrument) has more continuity among itself and not snuff out resonance. Anyway, let me know what you'd like to do. Thanks!

-John

mesrop1991
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-30-2015 at 05:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bulerias1981  
Thanks mesrop1991,

I saw the photos and the video. I would liked to have seen a close up of the neck joint from the back. However seems the oud needs a neck reset. You could play on the oud like that, of course it would be uncomfortable, and the action certainly won't get better on its own.. it is likely to raise a little more over time. I notice an improvement in sound once neck resets are done, which makes sense since the organism (instrument) has more continuity among itself and not snuff out resonance. Anyway, let me know what you'd like to do. Thanks!

-John

I can understand it would need a reset. It was sitting in storage for 10 years without care and with string tension.

I've decided not to repair this one ultimately because I found out this is a Jr. sized oud (57 cm. string length).

For now I'm in the market for a basic, inexpensive, full-sized Turkish student oud.

Go To Top