Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Eric Andersen gigs - with oud in tow...
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudbsessed

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 04:17 AM
Eric Andersen gigs - with oud in tow...

Hello oudists,
I have been playing recently with Eric Andersen, legendary name of the Greenwich Village 1960's Folk scene. He wrote songs for Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Joni Mitchell, Lou Reed, Judy Collins, Roger McGuinn, Leonard Cohen, etc. (a very long and prestigius list) and penned a few classics himself, notabily "Blue River" and "Thirsty Boots".
Commissioned by various establishments to put music to 13 of George Byron's poems, he took to corageous step to introduce an oud in his line-up to reflect Lord Byron's love for Greece and the Mediterranean in general. And this is where I come into place, having won the audition and secured a place.
We played some triumphant concerts in England at the beginning of September, including a gig filmed by the BBC in Byron's old pad (a huge vila actually) in Ravenshead, Nottinghamshire.
The reception was rapturous, and an LP has been outlined, to be recorded in January. I just wanted to alert you we have a couple of gigs coming in October, both in Vienna, Austria:
Friday October 23, Haus Der Music, Vienna
Saturday October 24, Oschwarzberg (formerly The Ost Club), Vienna
I hope some of you Austrian aficionados can make it, it really is rather good, although I might be a bit biased :-)
Thanks for reading this, take care
Giorgio
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 05:58 AM

Congratulations, Giorgio!

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-28-2015 at 04:48 AM

Dear Brian, thank you so much, I really appreciate it. I hope you are fine and dandy.
Take care
Giorgio
journeyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-30-2015 at 06:15 PM

Sounds like a great gig Georgio; congrats. Eric is one of the great song writers from that golden age; glad to hear that he is still at it and producing new work. Let us know if you are in the Toronto area.

roypatterson.com
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 01:50 PM

Journeyman,
thank you so much for your congrats, they are very much appreciated. Yes, Eric is still at it, still very creative, still making great albums, and his voice is better than ever. And he is a real pleasure to work with: he really understands and respects the need for his musicians to free form and improvise, and he feeds off on that. Plus, he really took good care of me, and he is a very cultured man and great company. Well, hope I can come to Toronto soon...if they let me into America, that is :-)

Go To Top