Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: lucky find? Nazih Ghadban 1130-1150
ohioguy
Oud Addict

info.gif posted on 10-3-2015 at 08:25 PM
lucky find? Nazih Ghadban 1130-1150

hello all I am a lost new guy here. I have came across two of these fine musical instruments.one is marked as stated in the title the other is unmarked but I will post pictures of it to see if someone can help me identify it. both will be for sale, I am trying to figure out a fair selling price. I have pictures for the first I will add the other one later tonight. like I said both are for sale I am located in central ohio. I do not have a price so I am hoping a few people could tell me a fair selling price for these I can be reached on here or @ mattburns614@yahoo.com
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 08:32 PM

Are you buying or selling please?

Value could vary a lot depending on condition and other factors.
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 04:58 AM

[file]37071[/file]
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 05:00 AM

I am looking to sell. I also purchased another one it is unmarked I believe I will post those pictures later today

[file]37073[/file]
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 11:17 AM

here is the one that I can not see any makers mark on
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 11:18 AM

[file]37081[/file] [file]37083[/file] [file]37085[/file]
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 02:01 PM

I'm more fond of Irish Traditional Cooking
:)
I didn't manage to trace any specification we're accustomed to in famous maker's ouds. It might be just another oud, or the oud we're all looking for. Just hard to tell from these snapshots. Maybe some measurements can shed more light on this mystery. A short video or at least a sound track may help to determine its fatherhood. The odours of its interior might as well contribute to ranging its age.
I always believed that six sences should work together while dealing with the the opposite sex and with ouds: see, hear, touch, smell, taste and hunch.
How come taste is involved ?
You drool once you put a hand or an eye on a "tasty" oud. Don't you !!!
Hereby I have come to a full circle with the cooking thing :)

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 03:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alfaraby  
I'm more fond of Irish Traditional Cooking
:)
I didn't manage to trace any specification we're accustomed to in famous maker's ouds. It might be just another oud, or the oud we're all looking for. Just hard to tell from these snapshots. Maybe some measurements can shed more light on this mystery. A short video or at least a sound track may help to determine its fatherhood. The odours of its interior might as well contribute to ranging its age.
I always believed that six sences should work together while dealing with the the opposite sex and with ouds: see, hear, touch, smell, taste and hunch.
How come taste is involved ?
You drool once you put a hand or an eye on a "tasty" oud. Don't you !!!
Hereby I have come to a full circle with the cooking thing :)

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

what measurements would be helpful? I am a complete newbie when it comes to these. the seller also was at a loss they were sold to me as mandolins. if it wasn't for the marking on the inside of the first one I wouldn't have a clue to as what they were.
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 07:20 PM

Let me know what you decide to sell the Ghadban ouds for
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 07:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jason  
Let me know what you decide to sell the Ghadban ouds for
i am hoping someone could help me with that. The prices fluctuate so much i have no clue to what i should ask. Im going to take it to a few places around columbus ohio and see if anyone can help me out. I doubt I'll have much luck.
gkhouri
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 09:56 PM

For what it's worth: The number on the label of Nazih's oud must be incorrect. It looks like it is oud #1230, "Sahar," not #1130. Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Lg6_qqU2M

#1130 is mentioned in a 2007 post on this forum: "ghadban sada el rouh 3 (1130)" here: http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6426

I have Nazih's #1237 from June of 2013, so the number 1230 for an oud from the end of January of 2013 would make sense sequentially.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 10:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gkhouri  
For what it's worth: The number on the label of Nazih's oud must be incorrect. It looks like it is oud #1230, "Sahar," not #1130. Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Lg6_qqU2M

#1130 is mentioned in a 2007 post on this forum: "ghadban sada el rouh 3 (1130)" here: http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6426

I have Nazih's #1237 from June of 2013, so the number 1230 for an oud from the end of January of 2013 would make sense sequentially.

Yes, the serial number is odd. 1100 series seems too low for the year 2013. And what's with the 2 different numbers on the label? However this oud is not #1230. The bowl is entirely different. Have a look here:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=14207
I can't tell what the bowl of the Ohio oud is made from.

and the real 2007 1130 is a 7 course oud, no?
so what is the Ohio oud? First represented as a mandolin is it going to turn out to be not a Ghadban oud either? Or a real Nazih Ghadban oud with a fake label?
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 10:19 PM

In addition, the photo of the label seems to be from the inside of a different oud than the one in the photo of the bowl. The ribs inside the bowl don't match the ribs as seen from the outside.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 10:27 PM

On closer examination of the photos it seems to be that the photo of the front of the oud (on the table) does indeed represent #1230 after all. I can see some of the white stripe and the walnut bowl. But the photograph of the back of the bowl seems to be the bowl of a different oud. And the photograph of the label seems to show different ribs entirely.
gkhouri
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jody Stecher  

Yes, the serial number is odd. 1100 series seems too low for the year 2013. And what's with the 2 different numbers on the label?

The second number is 1130 in arabic. The the handwriting of the numbers does look like the the writing on the label of my oud.
ohioguy, you should ask Nazih. His correct email is on the label. He'll be happy to help
Jason
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 10:39 AM

It is almost definitely the same oud Robert was selling a few years ago... the lighting makes it look different. The build year on the label also makes sense. Pay close attention to the long somewhat parallel black stripe on the grain of the bowl. You can see it in both pictures

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/files.php?pid=96573&aid=27...

compare to

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/files.php?pid=108436&aid=3...

I don't know about the label though. I have oud 1029 from 2004 so he would obviously be far beyond the 1100's in 2013. It is possible Nazih simply wrote the wrong number on the label. Easiest way to find out is to ask him.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 11:03 AM

Jason, you are right about the light. The photo of the bowl of Robert's oud shows alternate ribs of vertical grain and diagonal grain. Same as in the Ohio photo where the light makes the color green-yellow. But the ribs in the photo of the label are alternating dark and light. It does not look like all walnut. So the photo of the label appears to be of the interior of a different oud.

Quote: Originally posted by Jason  
It is almost definitely the same oud Robert was selling a few years ago... the lighting makes it look different. The build year on the label also makes sense. Pay close attention to the long somewhat parallel black stripe on the grain of the bowl. You can see it in both pictures

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/files.php?pid=96573&aid=27...

compare to

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/files.php?pid=108436&aid=3...

I don't know about the label though. I have oud 1029 from 2004 so he would obviously be far beyond the 1100's in 2013. It is possible Nazih simply wrote the wrong number on the label. Easiest way to find out is to ask him.
Jason
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 12:42 PM

Yeah I can't tell if the alternating light stripes are wood or strips of tape/paper. I have a couple of ouds with the strips on the inside of the bowl, not sure of their purpose. My Ghadban oud even has alternating dark stripes even though the bowl is all walnut like above. But it could also be from a different oud entirely.
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 03:20 PM

On closer examination of the photos it seems to be that the photo of the front of the oud (on the table) does indeed represent #1230 after all. I can see some of the white stripe and the walnut bowl. But the photograph of the back of the bowl seems to be the bowl of a different oud. And the photograph of the label seems to show different ribs entirely.

I apologize for the poor quality pictures. I will try to take better ones this evening, and only of the one of the known maker so it will hopefully help. I appreciate everyones time and input on this. I will keep you posted
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 03:38 PM

More detailed clearer photos of the non-Ghadban oud might lead to the identification of the unknown maker and therefore might lead to a proper evaluation of that oud.

Quote: Originally posted by ohioguy  

I apologize for the poor quality pictures. I will try to take better ones this evening, and only of the one of the known maker so it will hopefully help. I appreciate everyones time and input on this. I will keep you posted
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 06:22 PM

[file]37091[/file]
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 06:23 PM

[file]37093[/file]
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 06:24 PM

[file]37095[/file] [file]37097[/file]
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 06:24 PM

[file]37099[/file]
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 06:27 PM

More detailed clearer photos of the non-Ghadban oud might lead to the identification of the unknown maker and therefore might lead to a proper evaluation of that oud.

Quote: Originally posted by ohioguy  

I will try to get more of that one tomorrow I have that one stored in my storage unit. but I did just post hopefully better pictures of the nazih. one person questioned if the stripes inside were wood or paper and it appears to be paper. I also emailed nazih himself and I will let everyone know what his answer is. again I appreciate everyones help and input
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top