Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: lucky find? Nazih Ghadban 1130-1150
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 06:28 PM

These new photos clear up most of the mysteries. It is definitely one oud, not 3 !
Nazih Ghadban
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 10:54 PM

Greetings for All
before all the oud exposed here is mine but there is a fault by writing the serial number "1130" in place of "1230"
this is my fault . I am very sorry
everything is correct for this oud which is made in 24-1-2013. this is "Sahar 1230" which was sold to Mr Robert Abrams at Nottingham -USA in 1-8-2013. it is a great oud .
the new owner can make the correction at the label by writing 1230 in place of 1130.

All The Best
Nazih

[file]37101[/file] [file]37103[/file] [file]37105[/file] [file]37107[/file] [file]37109[/file]

ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 02:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jason  
It is almost definitely the same oud Robert was selling a few years ago... the lighting makes it look different. The build year on the label also makes sense. Pay close attention to the long somewhat parallel black stripe on the grain of the bowl. You can see it in both pictures

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/files.php?pid=96573&aid=27...

compare to

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/files.php?pid=108436&aid=3...

I don't know about the label though. I have oud 1029 from 2004 so he would obviously be far beyond the 1100's in 2013. It is possible Nazih simply wrote the wrong number on the label. Easiest way to find out is to ask him.

Jason you are correct nazih emailed me back and confirmed it.
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 09:29 AM

Nice to see the mystery solved :D
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 07:06 PM

thank you everyone for your input, I really appreciate it. now that It has been identified it will help me in selling it, I am torn as to only sell locally due to concerns about shipping damage, does anyone have any experience good or bad with a shipper?
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 10:10 PM

One domestic shipper is as good as another although I personally prefer the post office. The difference between shipping success and failure is usually dependent on how well the item has been packed. An oud is like a mirror. No part of the instrument can touch the inner walls of the packing box. It has to be suspended in absorbent packing material and is such a way that the energy from any blow to the outside of the box is absorbed by the walls and the packing material between the inner walls and the oud.
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 10-7-2015 at 02:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ohioguy  
what measurements would be helpful ?

Now that Nazih's oud mystery has been solved, we still have the other one !
Length, width, depth of the bowl, strings length, fingerboard, soundholes diameter, distance between their centers and from the edges and so forth. A sketch of the allover measurements might help.
The soundboard seems asymmetrical, or is it only the shooting angel that distorted the symmetry ?
Thank you

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 10-7-2015 at 07:26 AM

The soundboard is definitely symmetrical, the pictures are just taken from an angle. Here are some details from Nazih's youtube page:

-its soundboard is of Sitka spruce
-its Bowl of Lebanese walnut with two white stripe of maple
-pegs,fingerboard,PickGuard are of Ebony
-6ocm as stringlength
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-7-2015 at 07:38 AM

The soundboard is definitely symmetrical, the pictures are just taken from an angle. Here are some details from Nazih's youtube page:

-6ocm as stringlength

why would Nazih have a youtube page displaying ohioguy's unidentified oud?
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-7-2015 at 04:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jody Stecher  

-6ocm as stringlength

why would Nazih have a youtube page displaying ohioguy's unidentified oud?

im going to assume Nazih made the video before the original owner purchased it from him, I know the original owner posted it for sale in 2013 then decided to keep it. I purchased it at an estate sale in ohio about a week ago. im not sure how long they owned it but I was told they bought it for the looks of it(an art piece) they didn't play it. I bought it for the same reason, mostly because ive never seen anything like it and it truly is stunning. knowing now what it is I do not feel like I should just keep it in my closet ( I have four little ones that would try to play with it if I left it sitting out) I plan on keeping the unknown maker one as a "wallhanger" I have decided to sell it locally only or the purchaser would arrange the shipping. it has a leather case with it. if it had a hard case I would be more open to ship it. my last question for the group is what is a fair sale price( or a starting price) for these? I know it was purchased for 2000 U.S. in 2013.i do not know enough about these to know what a used one is worth.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-7-2015 at 05:26 PM

My little joke seems to have gone wrong. I believe Alfraby was asking about the dimensions of the Other Oud, The Unknown Oud.

We already all knew the dimensions of the oud that Nazih Ghadban built.

There are some real experts on this forum (Not me) who might be able to identify the maker if they could see better photos and knew the dimensions of the oud.
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-7-2015 at 05:37 PM

My little joke seems to have gone wrong. I believe Alfraby was asking about the dimensions of the Other Oud, The Unknown Oud.

We already all knew the dimensions of the oud that Nazih Ghadban built.

There are some real experts on this forum (Not me) who might be able to identify the maker if they could see better photos and knew the dimensions of the oud.

Im sorry i misread it. I will try to get the measurements this weekend. Someone was nice enough to message me what measurements would be helpful so im going to get them this weekend
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 07:23 AM

One domestic shipper is as good as another although I personally prefer the post office. The difference between shipping success and failure is usually dependent on how well the item has been packed. An oud is like a mirror. No part of the instrument can touch the inner walls of the packing box. It has to be suspended in absorbent packing material and is such a way that the energy from any blow to the outside of the box is absorbed by the walls and the packing material between the inner walls and the oud.

Good advice, I would add that the carton can be made with 2 medium moving cartons measuring 16inx16inx18in. One carton is closed at the bottom, then the next is placed on the outside of the bottom and positioned to provide at least one inch clearance top and bottom. The overlapping flaps are taped together inside and out, leaving the top open. This will provide a double wall at the center and is within the USPS large package size limits. The best cushioning material is poly vinyl styrene (PVS) foam sheet, that white stuff that is used in commercial packaging. It dissipates shock across the foam sheet rather than transferring it to the instrument. Place a 1in thick sheet at the bottom and top of the carton. A 1/8 in plywood sheet can be added over the face if you don't have a case. This might prevent damage to the face from a fork lift penetrating the carton (it has happened at FedEx, and the claim for damage was reduced from $800 to $135!). Cut out a clearance hole around the bridge, and be sure to loosen all the strings. Place the oud in a plastic ba gfor moisture protection even in a case, place it case diagonally across the corners rather than flat against a side wall. Then fill the empty space with any material: crumpled paper, bubble wrap, foam peanuts, plastic bags, excelsior (wood shavings) foam rubber, old clothes, whatever. Mark the carton fragile on all six sides and which side is up so the pegbox is at the top, tape all seams with heavy duty packaging tape. USPS is cheapest and they honor insurance claims. FedEx sells insurance but won't pay if damaged (my experience). UPS won't insure musical instruments. USPS can ship to some International places, otherwise use DHL.

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 08:02 AM

my favorite packing material is wadded up old newspaper, mostly because it is easy to come by and ever so much easier to dispose of then foam chips. YES: the sheets of PVS are effective. When shipping an instrument that has a case I also make sure that the instrument cannot move around in the case. It should be secured with soft material. The two carton idea is excellent. As a variant I have made a cardboard "hat" with footlong flaps on all sides and placed it over the end with an opening.

I have never shipped an instrument that arrived broken. I have certainly received broken instruments and it has always been quite obviously the fault of the person who carelessly packed the instrument. Of course a shipped package will get bumped around during its journey. This is a given and is not a question of Perhaps and Maybe. Some instrument sellers (not professionals) are as stubborn as mules and will not take the time and effort to pack an instrument carefully. They say :well only a small part of the instrument was touching the inner wall of the packing box. And I think to myself "and only a small part of your so-called brain is working".

Quote: Originally posted by Dr. Oud  

Good advice, I would add that the carton can be made with 2 medium moving cartons measuring 16inx16inx18in. One carton is closed at the bottom, then the next is placed on the outside of the bottom and positioned to provide at least one inch clearance top and bottom. The overlapping flaps are taped together inside and out, leaving the top open. This will provide a double wall at the center and is within the USPS large package size limits. The best cushioning material is poly vinyl styrene (PVS) foam sheet, that white stuff that is used in commercial packaging. It dissipates shock across the foam sheet rather than transferring it to the instrument. Place a 1in thick sheet at the bottom and top of the carton. A 1/8 in plywood sheet can be added over the face if you don't have a case. This might prevent damage to the face from a fork lift penetrating the carton (it has happened at FedEx, and the claim for damage was reduced from $800 to $135!). Cut out a clearance hole around the bridge, and be sure to loosen all the strings. Place the oud in a plastic ba gfor moisture protection even in a case, place it case diagonally across the corners rather than flat against a side wall. Then fill the empty space with any material: crumpled paper, bubble wrap, foam peanuts, plastic bags, excelsior (wood shavings) foam rubber, old clothes, whatever. Mark the carton fragile on all six sides and which side is up so the pegbox is at the top, tape all seams with heavy duty packaging tape. USPS is cheapest and they honor insurance claims. FedEx sells insurance but won't pay if damaged (my experience). UPS won't insure musical instruments. USPS can ship to some International places, otherwise use DHL.
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 03:49 PM

what would the members recommend as a way to sell it? ebay or a set price and meet. I cant play the instrument so I would rather have someone look at it firsthand to make sure its what they want
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 04:17 PM

what would the members recommend as a way to sell it? ebay or a set price and meet. I cant play the instrument so I would rather have someone look at it firsthand to make sure its what they want

Why not offer it for sale here? Where in Ohio are you?
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 06:31 PM

Why not offer it for sale here? Where in Ohio are you?

Im not opposed to offer on here but i have had alot of people asking to have of a video of it being played, i physically could play it but it would be horrible to hear. I have zero musical talent. I live about an hour south of columbus ohio. Lastly im not sure of what to ask for it. I know the previous owner was asking 1700 or something close to that. I could start there. Im not sure if these go up or down in value due to age. Condition wise it looks fine to me but a true oud expert might notice something im not seeing
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-13-2015 at 04:26 PM

I have decided to sell it for 1100 usd locally only. i am willing to meet at a reasonable distance. To ship it i would ask 1500, that shows how much i do not want to ship it. It would be cheaper to fly to meet at that rate. If i get my asking price of 1100 and you pick it up i would sell the other no name oud for 100. I am located near columbus ohio in the 43146 zip code
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-19-2015 at 05:00 PM

i have sold both ouds. thank you all for your help and I know the new owner will appreciate them as the true art piece they are. he was kind enough to play both for me in person when he purchased them and I must say they have a beautiful sound. im glad I came across these and got them to a good home. thanks again everyone
tkmasuda
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-20-2015 at 10:32 AM

This is a great thread. Matt, it's cool that you and this forum basically rescued these instruments from oud oblivion, and that even the luthier was able to connect with you. Maybe you'll be looking for an oud of your own soon!
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-15-2015 at 07:37 AM

so believe it or not the family called me and they found a third one. i will post pictures and will be selling this one also.
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-15-2015 at 08:08 AM

[file]37401[/file]
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-15-2015 at 08:09 AM

[file]37403[/file]
ohioguy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-15-2015 at 08:09 AM

[file]37407[/file]