Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Left hand technique of Mehmet Polat
Microber
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 07:24 AM
Left hand technique of Mehmet Polat

Here is a video with Mehmet Polat explaining is left hand technique.
I don't think that everybody can succeed in making that. Me the first one. :shrug:
He seems to have very long fingers.
However, very impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xD6VQM_qJE

Robert
hans
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 01:43 PM

His left hand technique is very impressive, and so is his technique overall although he doesn't do much triple fast virtuoso stuff anymore, because he is less interested in that now; but he is also impressive because he has his own sound; I know no one else who sounds like he does
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 02:16 PM

I also noticed the sound, which I like. Do you think this is because of his hand, because of the sound of this particular oud, or does the contact microphone have something to do with it?
hans
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 02:25 AM

I think it is the way he plays, there is something ultra relaxed about it as far as I can see, and he has taught himself to play; he plays very differently from people in istanbul, probably influenced by playing the baglama in his home town of urfa in anatolia. The music academy in istanbul didn't like what he did; the one in Rotterdam immediately offered him a master's degree :D (chauvinistic pride here). I don't know about the oud; when I play it it sounds like crap, so I wonder what his (coming) new oud will do for him. Anyways, the sound has nothing to do with the mic
Microber
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 04:18 AM

Hi Hans,
Is Mehmet Polat your teacher ?
If yes, does he teach you this stretching technique ?
Robert
hans
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 07:46 AM

He shows me now and then, but also leaves me free to do what comes naturally to me; which usually comes down to being less acrobatic than what he does, but more than what the traditional turks (and arabs?) are used to; I seldom use two fingers per string, mostly three, because that is what I got used to on the guitar and to my own surprise I pull it off whithout playing false notes, also in the third position.
But he says it is no use trying to stretch your fingers beyond what you can do without pain

Go To Top