Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Removing a rosette to fix cracked binding and sinking top
alejofar
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 12:07 PM
Removing a rosette to fix cracked binding and sinking top

Hey Everyone,

I have this oud with a cracked binding and a sinking top on the treble side. the crack line runs all along the binding, converging with the edge of the soundboard and running a few more inches, causing it to sink a bit. The crack runs a total length of about 12 inches.

I've done some repairs in the past but I'm still an amateur. My plan is to remove the center rosette and install a small piece of guitar kerfed lining to support the top at that point and tape it up to hold it all together. Planning on using wood glue since I'm not quick enough yet with the hide glue. I'm also guessing a brace or two will have to be reglued to the ribs.

My first problem is what's the best way to remove and reattach the rosette without damaging it? Hot exacto blade? A little warm water? This is a budget Turkish oud, I'm guessing they used hide glue.

Here are some pics so you can see the damage. Any suggestions from you luthiers out there would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

[file]37277[/file] [file]37279[/file]

[file]37283[/file]
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 10-31-2015 at 09:08 AM

brush a little warm water around the perimeter of the rose. Use a thin palette knife to work the glue joint loose all around. Some heat can be applied to the knife with a small craft iron, but be careful not to heat the rose or it can melt if it is horn or plastic, no worries if it's wood. Once the rose drops in, you can access the inside to align and apply glue. If the face has sunk in it is a sure sign some brace re-gluing will be needed. I would advise you to use hide glue, even if you can cook it, there is liquid hide glue available. Mixing synthetic and hide glue might not work. Use some masking tape to hold the side against the face edge and brace ends.

To replace the rose, sand the inside surface of the face around the hole and the edge of the rose to smooth the surface and remove excess glue. Tie some string loops into the rose next to the edge at 8 places equally spaced around the perimeter. Apply hide glue to the face surface first, then around the edge of the rose. Pull the rose up against the face, align it and slip some Popsicle sticks (or some thing similar) through the loops on the top of the face. Brush some warm water around the perimeter to soften the glue, then pull the rose against the face and push some wedges under the sticks to tighten the rose against the face. After the glue cures, cut the loops and pull them out, some water can be applied if they are stuck.

alejofar
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-31-2015 at 01:05 PM

Thanks Dr. Oud!

I've used hide glue in the past and I have some granules laying around to make another batch. I'll try it out that way if you think it's best.

Great idea with the rose! I'll let you know how it comes out.

Go To Top