Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Travelling Oud (majnuun idea)
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 11-6-2015 at 11:52 PM
The Travelling Oud (majnuun idea)

I found my pipe collection a couple weeks ago and bought some tobacco to see if I would enjoy it again. It reminded me of something...

I used to follow this pipe smoker on Youtube, and he had this pipe that he sent off on a journey to different Youtubers to make videos smoking that very same pipe...

Anyway, if my memory serves me correctly, the pipe made it pretty far.

Wouldn't it be a fun project to have a travelling Oud? We could perhaps raise some money with crowdsourcing or have someone donate a playable but not expensive Oud and ship around to all the Oud players around the world who want to play it. The condition would be that you have to make a max 5 minute video talking about yourself and playing a taqsim or piece of your choice or composition.

In fact, we could even make this charitable....

There are obvious challenges to this idea, and an Oud is much more riskier to ship than a pipe, but it would be a noteworthy phenomenon.

I'm thinking that after it makes its rounds to say 50 people, we put in a bid for the Guinness World Records most well-travelled Oud, or most-passed-hands Oud, or Oud-played-by-the-most-people. And if the Oud keeps travelling, great!

Shipping cost can be minimized by shipping to the nearest most trustworthy Oud player (the gods know we are quite trustworthy, honest people) also minimizing the risk of damage to the Oud as well.

Is anyone else as majnuun as me who wants to do this?

(If I had an inexpensive Oud on hand, I would start this project right away, but I don't)

:xtreme:

antaus
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-7-2015 at 12:35 AM

hey Navid, nice idea. Maybe the best thing to avoid money problems, shipping hazards and complex packaging would be to pass it from hand to hand, from a city to another when you travel, that way, a picture could be taken of the oud passing from one person to another, it would take time but is more "humane" than shipping it

don't have a spare inexpensive oud either
Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2015 at 02:05 AM

The most important question is - how much does it cost to ship an oud? Obviously it depends on where one is shipping it to. But what are peoples' experiences with costs on shipping ouds?

antaus
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-7-2015 at 03:20 AM

I've never shipped an oud but I am quite familiar with shipping cost from France to any countries

domestic shipping is usually quite economic, 20 to 30€ depending on the country (from France to FRance, 25€ for a 7kg large package)

From EEC to EEC it should be 40 to 60€ (from France to Germany, 40€ for a 7kg large package) but outside EEC , let's just forget it (100€ minimum from France to non EEC countries)
Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2015 at 07:36 AM

Seems like a good idea for a documentary film on the unifying nature of music and the applicability and interpretation of one culture's traditions on another. It would be better if rather than just playing the instrument and then putting it up on youtube players could film themselves doing at least one live performance [large or intimate] with the instrument which would reflect their culture, style and environment. Would be easier to crowdsource too. I, for instance, am fascinated with how a Swedish player or French player would play the oud in comparison to an American or Japanese player. Also where would they play it, what would the house/venue/town look like, what would be the reception etc? There's quite a lot of room for creativity with the concept.
spyblaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2015 at 08:31 AM

Hello

Navid this is a great idea. I think we can buy a cheap playable oud together. I have a customer who makes good cheap ouds about 250$ (if I tell him about this action he will probably offer a good discount). Also I can probably get a shipping carton from Yildirim which is very thick and safe so we don't have to buy a hard case and pay extra for shipping.

also maybe we could finally sell the oud on ebay to the highest bid and spend it on charity.

The Oud is my life, n my life is the Oud
spyblaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2015 at 08:38 AM

and maybe each player could sign the back, man this is gonna be legendary!

Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2015 at 08:43 AM

Might be worth setting up an Indigogo/Kickstarter page with a target and a date that we start the project on. Of course we can contribute ourselves and also open it out. The costs would determine the type of oud, travel costs, destinations and we could look to get the thing actually going by the beginning of next year some time.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2015 at 09:33 AM

Let's see if I understand this idea: Find an oud that is hard to play and sounds bad, spend lots of money to send it around the world, vandalize the bowl with ink, make videos of the oud being played in a way for which it was not designed, playing music for which it was not intended, post the videos on Youtube for the world to see and revel in the idea that playing uncharacteristic music on an unresponsive instrument represents some kind of unifying.

Have I got that right?
Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2015 at 09:42 AM

That's a rather cynical way of looking at it, Jody. I think that it makes sense that if one is going to send an oud around the world that it's not a £5000 Faruk Turunz masterpiece. It should be half decent though.

As for getting the thing signed, well, I don't know about that. I don't really mind either way. I would be interested to see what other members make of the concept. Before the internet a project like this would have been near impossible, but one cannot deny that the internet does unite people and give people the opportunity to speak who would never be able to otherwise [I wouldn't be speaking to you otherwise would I?] and share different ways to improve and explore their interests.

As for unification, it clearly does represent a form of such, unification of different peoples, cultures and styles united under a common interest. If the crowdfunding doesn't make the intended target then people just get their money back. I stand behind the idea of making a documentary out of it because any non oud players who contribute still 'get' something at the end, as well as appearing in the credits.
spyblaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2015 at 11:50 AM

If anyone has traveled to Syria before it got <b>hug</b>ed up he knows that even a 200$ oud made by Ibrahim Sukar can look, sound and be played pretty well. same is true about this oud I'm talking about. Imagine it as a 400-700$ oud sold in Europe. I'm in Iran and the oud is made in Iran and the maker is my customer so the price is awesome. I will ask him to send a sample video if you guys want.

Jack_Campin
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-7-2015 at 03:43 PM

The Ocarina Network tried that with a fairly basic ocarina worth about $50. It spent two years travelling round the world getting played and signed by players in nearly every continent, before getting held up for months by the US military postal system in the Western Pacific and being held more-or-less hostage for a few more months by a lunatic in Dubai. It may eventually finish its round trip but they aren't holding their collective breath.

abc123xyz
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-7-2015 at 06:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jack_Campin  
The Ocarina Network tried that with a fairly basic ocarina worth about $50. It spent two years travelling round the world getting played and signed by players in nearly every continent

It's hard to imagine they could get many signatures on an ocarina!

Or was it like the big one here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMJBGCC6akc

¦·D

David

Go To Top