Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: neck joint bump causing buzz
alejofar
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-18-2015 at 11:55 AM
neck joint bump causing buzz

Hello oudies,

I have a problem with an oud here that I just noticed. It seems like there's a bump at the neck joint that is producing a pretty bad buzz across all the strings. I think this oud gradually developed this problem but now it has become unplayable. What's the best solution to this? The nut was raised a bit but it's not enough to eliminate the buzz. I believe I'll have to plane the bump down but my concern is that I'll plane right through the beard into the neck block and will have to inlay a veneer or another beard. Is this my only way out?!

In the picture bellow you can sort of see where the bump is between the 7 and 8 on the ruler.

[file]37428[/file]
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-18-2015 at 01:09 PM

I wouldn't use a plane for this... way too risky.

I would sand the area down a little with a flat block in the right width. I would also put some tape to protect the edges where I don't actually want to sand.

it should work.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 11-20-2015 at 09:44 AM

Check under the 3rd and 4th strings for grooves worn into the fingerboard - these are the most common causes of buzzing. Use plywood or MDF to make sure the sanding block is absolutely flat. The block must be wider and longer than the neck, otherwise you could sand a cup into the neck.

Remove the top nut - if it's glued on, put a putty knife at the corner of the fingerboard/nut and tap with a hammer. Don't sand onto the body at all - the angle of the neck/face and string height should keep the strings clear. If the beard is actually interfering, scrape it down with a utility knife blade or single edge razor blade, be careful to stay off the face unless it needs to be flattened as well.

Cut the sandpaper to fit the block and attach it with spray adhesive. Start with 100 grit garnet or wood sandpaper to flatten, then smooth it out with 220 grit, polish with 0000 steel wool.

Finally seal with Tung oil. Replace the top nut with just a drop of glue.

alejofar
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-28-2015 at 03:15 PM

Dr. Oud, is it really necessary to have a block longer and wider than the neck if I'm just trying to flatten this bump? Also, I might have to sand over the face just a bit at the neck joint because I think the bump extends a bit over the beard.

SamirCanada, what are the risks of using a plane for this as opposed to sandpaper?
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 07:46 AM

If you don't sand the whole fingerboard flat you will just move the problem to a different place. the fingerboard must be completely flat to remove any bump or groove. The only way to do this is with a sanding block larger than the fingerboard.

It is not necessary to sand past the end of the fingerboard, as the angle of the strings at the neck joint should over come any bump, as if you need to play past the beard anyway. If you must lower the beard, use a single edge razor or utility knife blade and scrape it down, keeping off the face. If it is lower than the face, the face can be sanded down if it is thick enough, as long as there is 1mm of face left.

You might consider adding an extended fingerboard over the top of the existing one, . This can solve all the bump, groove and string action problems. It will not affect the sound. Extend it as far as you like.

Go To Top