Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Persian music lecture by Davod Azad (great info here!!)
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 08:50 AM
Persian music lecture by Davod Azad (great info here!!)

This is a nice introduction to Persian music that I completely geeked out on last night. Davod Azad demonstrates the singing style and touches upon some spiritual and healing aspects in relation to Persian music.

He even does a short demo of the Oud on his Faruk Turunz Oud!

I really enjoyed how he got people in the audience to try and sing the dastgahs. That's the best way to really internalize the maqam system by using your primary instrument to learn the pitches, VOICE. This is exactly what I encourage people to do in the maqam mastery program, and why I created ear training audio files to accompany it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VGiADTdtmk

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 08:02 PM

Good singer! Some puzzles though. Do you know what he means about the special tar tunings of Jalil Shahnaz and Farhang Sharif? Obviously Mahur is nothing like Minor. He must have meant major.

Thanks for calling attention to this.
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 11-25-2015 at 09:35 AM

Yeah, he made a mistake about Mahur being like minor.

I'm not sure about the exact values for the tar tunings, maybe there is someone else who knows about that. But I guess those Masters created novel tunings for their own style in certain cases. That was new to me. Though I'm pretty certain if the irregularities would show up in the third course of the tar where they have a bass string and treble string in parallel. I've heard these strings tuned oddly before. Hopefully someone else can elaborate or clarify.

Shirinimirini
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-28-2016 at 09:29 AM

Yes, there are so many different tunings for tar. The highest pair of strings is traditionally always tuned in unison (my teacher also likes to tune them in fourths sometimes giving an taste of Khorasani dotar), same for the middle pair, and for the lowest you can find many variations, often in octaves, but here are some other examples:
Tuning for Shur on G: Fc G c
Segah on Ap (koron): DAp G c
Shur on A: DA G c

But as he told some players find new tunings.
Like Jalil Shahnaz in this wonderful recording is using DA FG c and playing Dashti in D having beautiful resonance and nice bass notes, but only the c-string for melody (at least in his style; from my teacher I got lots of inspiration for using all the strings)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9P5jxYuDbE

There's a recording of Hossein Alizadeh playing Segah on Ap, with the tuning EpAp F c. But I should search for it.

Go To Top