Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Left hand pain
MoPAT
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 03:58 AM
Left hand pain

Hi guys.
I am learning the egyptian oud, what you might call less than a beginner. I am currently learning how to play the B and C notes on the A3 string - the string second from the top on a 5 string oud. My current tuning is GADgc.

I have been getting some minor pain in my left wrist and fingers today after playing last night. I suspect this is due to the following:

1. The tutor says to play the 'B' note with the middle finger and the 'C' note with the ring finger, while keeping the middle finger down on the string. To get the 'C' note correct, however, I often find that I have to reach a bit more to the right on the fingerboard, away from the peg box - I mean that my middle finger is on the spot for the 'B' note while I am hitting the 'C' note. I am using a tuner to gauge the notes. Is this normal (i.e. stretching the fingers) - I do not have short fingers, neither are my fingers long.

2. I find that when I go to play the C note, my index and pinkie fingers instinctively straighten, away from the fingerboard.

Thanks in advance

How do you know, if you never try?
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 05:07 AM

If you are having pain you are possibly using more force than necessary and/or are locking your wrist and/or thumb in a position that is causing or worsening the problem. Push the strings to the fingerboard no harder than necessary to get a clear sound.

The reflexive movement of your pinkie and index fingers can be overcome by practicing slowly and gently. Don't force anything.

MoPAT
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 05:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jody Stecher  
If you are having pain you are possibly using more force than necessary and/or are locking your wrist and/or thumb in a position that is causing or worsening the problem. Push the strings to the fingerboard no harder than necessary to get a clear sound.

The reflexive movement of your pinkie and index fingers can be overcome by practicing slowly and gently. Don't force anything.

Thanks so much for the advice! I will be mindful of this.

How do you know, if you never try?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 12:06 PM

To add to Jody's advice, it is likely that there is something less than ideal in the position/orientation of your left hand that is causing extra difficulty and stress. A short video of you playing would give us more to work with.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top