Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud Donation for Refugee
tkmasuda
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-13-2015 at 05:51 PM
Oud Donation for Refugee

I'd like to donate one of Mike's apprentice ouds to a refugee who could use an instrument.

Please let me know if you know an oudi in need. All I ask is that the recipient be a refugee or asylee with a US shipping address. I'll work with Mike to have the instrument shipped directly.

This is nothing more than a gesture of welcome from an American who comes from a family of immigrants. I hope this oud gives comfort and pleasure to people starting a new life in a new country, and I know the music that gets played on it will make the world a better place for all of us.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-13-2015 at 06:24 PM

What an incredibly kind gesture Todd! Guys like you are what truly make this forum special.

conroystoptime
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 06:49 AM

This is a great idea. I also have an oud I would like to donate, if this yields any results. I will put on a new set of strings and ship at my own expense.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 07:02 AM

Fantastic idea, we will be receiving 25,000 refuges in Canada in the next 2-3 months.

I will try to reach out to these groups who are facilitating their settlement to see if there is a demand for a oud.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Eric Stern Music
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 11:18 AM

I think this is absolutely splendid. If it all right with either gentleman who are donating ouds I would like to contribute a little to the shipping cost of one of them. I don't have much, but maybe $40-$50? Perhaps to whichever would be going to Canada, as that might cost a little more? Once it's ready to go, contact me and I will paypal the money over to you. There are many things one should not be without: Food, clothing, shelter, hospitality, good will and welcoming arms. And certainly an oud.
Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 11:39 AM

You guys are awesome! This really is making my day.
It really is a great time of year, and you guys are all making it even better.

Cheers

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 02:12 PM

This is a wonderful gesture. I just spoke with a friend who arrived recently from Syria, a fantastic violinist, to see if he knew of a musician who was in need. He said he would ask around the community to see if some talented person had been unable to bring an instrument with them.
tkmasuda
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 07:54 PM

That would be great, Brian, thanks.

Syrian refugees are in the news these days, but I'd be glad to send it to any refugee in the US who needs an oud. Samir, I know Canada's accepting a lot of Syrians (I think your PM is standing at the airport with jars of maple syrup and shots of Crown Royal), but if it's all the same, I'd like to keep this oud in the US where a refugee's overall welcome is less certain.

It's heartening to see support for oud donations. It's a small thing, but timely, appropriate to the group, and hopefully something with social resonance.

Musing on the side, I wonder if Canada will gain enough know-how and skilled labor to start an oud factory?
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 09:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tkmasuda  

Musing on the side, I wonder if Canada will gain enough know-how and skilled labor to start an oud factory?

with Samir as foreman?
conroystoptime
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-15-2015 at 06:49 AM

Great. I know Samer (whom Brian mentioned) here in New York, so I'll check with him, too.

But Mike, if you do get some info on a Canada-based musician in need, please let me know. Ideally, of course, the oud would go to someone who plays and loves Arabic music, and who is in need of a good, working instrument.

The one I have in mind is a Mohammed Fadel copy (it has a Fadel label inside, but is clearly fake) that I got in Damascus in 2010. Najib Shaheen did some work on it in New York City, improving the sound and playability quite a bit.

It would be most ideal for an adult male musician, probably, because it has a deep bowl and a wide face.

Thank you! If I find a recipient via Samer, I'll post here with an update.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-15-2015 at 08:48 AM

You guys are joking around but I actually thought about this for a while as I am fantasizing about quitting my day job. Imagine someone like Samir Azar who lost his workshop in the early days of the war and others who are struggling with making and shipping ouds in these conditions. Though I think most of them would have relocated to Damascus and are doing ok.

As a bonus we would sell in Canadian dollars which is basically on par with the Syrian currency :P

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-15-2015 at 10:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SamirCanada  

As a bonus we would sell in Canadian dollars which is basically on par with the Syrian currency :P

:))

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
tkmasuda
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-15-2015 at 10:54 AM

Samir, if you had the right guys and could get to the right numbers it would not be a joke at all. Don't forget to look into government grants or loans, esp. related to rehabilitating real estate! You could even plan to recruit master luthiers from elsewhere. You could be the Robert Godin of the oud.
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-15-2015 at 12:31 PM

very nice gesture!
all my respect.
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 12-15-2015 at 07:45 PM

Samir, I'm in Vancouver, let me know if I can be of any assistance.

If you ever want to start a Canadian Oud factory/company keep me informed.

keving
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-16-2015 at 09:13 AM

you guys literally just restored my hope for humanity. With all the depressing news, this just made my day. Thank you.

I wish I had something to give. If any refugees came to our state of massachusetts I want to offer a space for them to be, we don't have much, but we'll out it out there if it comes to that.

Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-23-2015 at 05:28 PM

So it looks like we found our very deserving candidate for Todd and Eric's generosity. I just delivered the Oud this morning to a relative who will give the Oud to its new owner on Christmas Day.

Last Sunday I texted Afif Taian asking if he knew of anyone coming from Syria who was in need of an Oud. I gave him the back story and told him how it would be a donation from a couple of generous guys at the forums. He put me in touch with someone who had the perfect person in mind. A few short days later and she will have her Oud.

A brief account of the beneficiary of Todd's wonderful idea:

She's a widower from Syria with two teenage sons. Her husband died of a heart attack about 6 years ago. Her home was destroyed during the recent unrest and she was able to get to California with her two boys. She's been in the states for about 7 months and seems like she's doing her best to assimilate. She drives her kids to school and work each morning, then takes English lessons herself before picking her kids up and then going to work herself.

I really believe this is going to brighten Christmas for her and her family. We should be getting some photos and possibly a short video of her with her new Oud soon.

Thanks again to Todd and Eric and all you guys who have been supportive of this wonderful idea!

majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 12-23-2015 at 09:48 PM

Fantastic. I hope to see an update soon.

Eric Stern Music
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 09:43 AM

Todd and Mike you guys are so awesome, for coming up with the idea and then for making it happen! I'm just helping a little but you two are the idea and the action men! So nice to be part of a forum that is doing something good for the world. Go team oud!
tkmasuda
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 10:18 AM

Happy that this is working out. Mike and Eric, thanks a lot.
Keving, nice Ornette cover!
Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-19-2016 at 09:25 PM

Well, our new friend, Hannaa, finally got her oud. It took a little longer than expected, but needless to say, it seems like she is quite happy and grateful. Thanks again Todd and Eric!

And here is a short video clip.

conroystoptime
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-20-2016 at 06:14 AM
possible resource in Germany

Great work.

I don't read German, but a friend recently posted this "instruments for refugees" link.

Could anyone help translate? This might be a good resource for people who would like to collectively donate money toward providing instruments to those in need.

http://www.instrumentenvoorvluchtelingen.nl/
Eric Stern Music
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-20-2016 at 08:54 AM

:applause::D
david-klampfe
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-20-2016 at 09:15 AM

Here is a translation of the info from the page

http://www.instrumentenvoorvluchtelingen.nl/

It is original in dutch. I translated it into german and then into english. So, without 100% guarantee...

----------------------------------------------

Give those musicians back their voice!

The instrument fond is helping musicians, who fled and miss an instrument right now. We also facilitate the realization of concerts and musicworkshops on the local spots. So that there will be music at those places in 2016.

You like to help us?

There are two ways to support the fond.

With your donation we can purchase instruments for (professional) fled musicians, bear the costs of transport an execute the organisation of concerts and workshops.

You have an instrument you don't need anymore, which is in a good and playable condition? Let us get in contact at: mail@instrumentenvoorvluchtelingen.nl
We tell you where and how you can hand over you instrument.

Your donation can be transfered at IBAN NL11INGB 0008114842 with the applied notation: Musicians without boarders, instrumets for refugees.

Thanks a lot!

The musicians
conroystoptime
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 06:04 AM

Thanks so much for the DUTCH translation! :)

Go To Top