Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: looking for a teacher in western Massachusetts
mich
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-15-2015 at 03:28 PM
looking for a teacher in western Massachusetts

After many years of consuming oud music, I finally decided that my mid-life crisis (I'm 51) will be to learn how to produce oud music. I don't know if it's possible because I haven't played an instrument in more than 30 years, but I want to try.

I know that some great oudists are offering Skype lessons, And the online lessons from I3zif.com seem like a good place to start too. But I'm old fashioned - and starting from scratch - so I would like to start with some face-to-face instruction. Partly, that's because I need help with the physical side: how to hold the instrument correctly so that I can play while not straining my back and shoulder. (Did I mention that I'm middle-aged?)

After figuring that out, the next step will be some advice on a new instrument.
I picked up a cheap "tourist oud" in the old city in Akka (Israel) a few months back, and I clearly need to start by replacing it with a better instrument. John Vergara's ouds make me wish that I knew how to play well enough to buy one, but I'm afraid I'll have start with something that makes less of an impact on my son's college fund....
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-15-2015 at 03:33 PM

Hey Mich, if you're on Facebook, join the group "Arabic Music Retreat" and post this there. Since the retreat happens every August in South Hadley, MA, someone there will probably know who the closest oudi is to you. Even if it's not a "teacher" at least someone more experienced should be able to give you some face-to-face tips.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
mich
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-15-2015 at 06:20 PM

Thanks Brian.
I actually joined the Facebook group yesterday, and was just about to write an email to Kay Campbell (the organizer of the retreat) to ask her advice.
I was feeling a little shy about posting in that group of over a thousand people...

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I was just listening to "The thief and the dog" as I drove home.
Really beautiful music. Thank you for that too.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-15-2015 at 07:27 PM

Don't be shy! Everyone is very friendly, and while Kay would be happy to help (I'm sure), the collective wisdom of the whole group is pretty amazing.

And thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you enjoy the music.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top