Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fathi Amin Oud Fake or Real?
johnmia
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-23-2015 at 06:35 AM
Fathi Amin Oud Fake or Real?

Hey Guys,

So during my Cairo trip, a came across a Fathi Amin Oud for 5000 Pounds from a oud shop that seems to be pretty reputable and popular around the area. The Sticker Inside seems extremely authentic as well. Of course, I am still a bit worried. It plays wonderful as well. I attached some pictures for you guys to help me confirm its authenticity. Also, if someone else has a Fathi oud, would you mind posting a picture of the sticker inside?

Thank you!

Almelaifi
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 11:04 AM

I'm not an expert, but the Oud looks like Fathi Amin's to me.

5000 pounds? This is not a bit expensive, this is too expensive.

But again I'm not an expert.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 11:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Almelaifi  

5000 Egyptian pounds should be about $650 US dollars, no?
Almelaifi
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 04:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jody Stecher  
Quote: Originally posted by Almelaifi  

5000 Egyptian pounds should be about $650 US dollars, no?

Ohh sorry, I don't know why I thought that's British pound :D

Thanks Jody..
johnmia
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-25-2015 at 01:26 PM

Thank you Guys:) Can anyone confirm 100%?
Omar Al-Mufti
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-26-2015 at 03:41 PM

Check the manufacturing date...Fathi Amin passed away in 2012.....the ouds made by his son Sayid after his dad are not really good.
Anyway....the ouds look original to me
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 12-27-2015 at 05:49 AM

Something went wrong between Fathi & Sayyed somewhen in the last years of Fathi's life. The son wanted to move on to a bigger and more modern neighbourhood, while the father stuck with his historical location in "Sooq El Hamam" near "Sayyeda Aisha" Square, one of old Cairo quarters. In order to get their, you'd need a tour guide and literally pass in between old men playing cards, then continue walking quite a while. The workshop was something like 6-8 sq. m. where not more than 2 people could stand. Sayyed thought it's about time to move on, so he left his old father back in his cave and opened a new workshop and shop at Faissal st. Cairo using his father's reputation and big name. Soon afterwards, the two started to compete and to tell everybody what they really thought about one another, in a very vulgar attitude.
On the other hand, Fathi hasn't put his hand to wood in his last 20 years. Mahmoud, his loyal apprentice actually built the ouds under the supervision and know how of the late master, who spent most of his time outside his workshop.
Bottom line: this does not seem to be Fathi's oud. It's either Sayyed's or Mahmoud's.

Here's Sayyed's site:
http://fathy-ameen.com/index_en.html

BTW no original Fathi's is offered for hundreds. The wealthy players and collectors of the Gulf would have grabbed it long before his owner even thought.
As to Fathi's ouds quality, I just heard about it, but never heard it or touched it for real.

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
johnmia
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-27-2015 at 10:02 AM

It has been confirmed by a few experts that are friends of mine that it is in fact a Fathi Oud. They were very impressed with the price I obtained it at. It was an incredible find by a small store owner who was very close with Fathi.
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 12-27-2015 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by johnmia  
It has been confirmed by a few experts ... that it is in fact a Fathi Oud

How great ! So why do you ask our help to confirm the authinticity of your treasure in the first place. However, we'd like to know who might those "experts" be; so that we may count on their expertise in similar cases. But please pay attention to the following Wikipedia's suggestion before naming the "few experts" (who must be at least more than two) :

"An expert is a person with extensive authoritative knowledge or ability based on research, experience, occupation or in a particular area of study. He can be believed, by virtue of credential, training, education, profession, publication or experience, to have special knowledge of a subject beyond that of the average person, sufficient that others may officially (and legally) rely upon the individal's opinion".

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
Almelaifi
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-29-2015 at 10:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alfaraby  
Something went wrong between Fathi & Sayyed somewhen in the last years of Fathi's life. The son wanted to move on to a bigger and more modern neighbourhood, while the father stuck with his historical location in "Sooq El Hamam" near "Sayyeda Aisha" Square, one of old Cairo quarters. In order to get their, you'd need a tour guide and literally pass in between old men playing cards, then continue walking quite a while. The workshop was something like 6-8 sq. m. where not more than 2 people could stand. Sayyed thought it's about time to move on, so he left his old father back in his cave and opened a new workshop and shop at Faissal st. Cairo using his father's reputation and big name. Soon afterwards, the two started to compete and to tell everybody what they really thought about one another, in a very vulgar attitude.
On the other hand, Fathi hasn't put his hand to wood in his last 20 years. Mahmoud, his loyal apprentice actually built the ouds under the supervision and know how of the late master, who spent most of his time outside his workshop.
Bottom line: this does not seem to be Fathi's oud. It's either Sayyed's or Mahmoud's.

Here's Sayyed's site:
http://fathy-ameen.com/index_en.html

BTW no original Fathi's is offered for hundreds. The wealthy players and collectors of the Gulf would have grabbed it long before his owner even thought.
As to Fathi's ouds quality, I just heard about it, but never heard it or touched it for real.

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

I've heard of the story before, but you got me confused now because 2 years ago I was going to buy Fathi's Oud and it seemed like a lot of people, if not all the people I talked to, refer to the design of the Oud posted by johnmia as Fathi's and not Sayyed's!!

From the link you posted, it seems like they have something in common, but again I'm not an expert..

Go To Top