Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Persian ney lessons / advice in Amsterdam, Netherlands
antaus
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-4-2016 at 12:58 AM
Persian ney lessons / advice in Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hello,

I'm asking on behalf of my cousin living in Amsterdam. She is desperatly seeking for someone who could give her lessons or at least advice to begin with Persian ney (not Turkish/Arabic), she has solid knowledge of music theory and have a long piano experience but is a beginner when it comes to ney. If you know such a person, please PM me and I'll forward the info to her.

That would be great as I'd really like to play with her.

Thanks in advance !
franck leriche
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-4-2016 at 02:10 AM

I do not know any ney player in Amsterdam, but i've been sitting at Hossein Omoumi ney class 3 hours every weeks for 3 years so i may give you some clue. (i don't play the ney, i can make the sound and play a scale)

She has to put the ney in between the first and second upper teeth and manage to make the sound.
( from the same position you may have one note, the octave plus one octave and a fith according to the way you blow)

There's no trick, just try and try...according to Omoumi it takes between 3 weeks and 2 years to make the first sound.
She has to focus on blowing the air on one point, just where the ney touches the teeth.
The tongue is rounded in the mouth so the tip is touching the upper part of the ney.
The air is blowed over the tongue.

She will find the notes very easily, the last note(B) is missing in the first octave, that's way one can hear most of the players switching to the second octave when the have to play it.
Omoumi ad a horn key to feel the gap.
Unfortunately i have lost most the recorded tapes i had from the class....

Omoumi has learned by himself many years before he went to see Hassan Kassâ'i, but he never was a regular student.
antaus
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-4-2016 at 11:21 AM

Hello Franck,

actually she is already at that point (making a sound), i guess she would need advice to get better and also probably to have an understanding of persian and arabic music
franck leriche
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-5-2016 at 01:50 AM

Great, so she's on her way!

As a musician she would be a little disappointed by persian music lessons.
You repeat note by note every "gushé" (short melody) of the radif, and you repeat note by note rhythmic pieces. No explanation, no theory.

If you are very lucky to have a great master as a teacher, you will hear live performance right in front of you, that's the great thing. But actually there's no great ney master living in the netherlands.

It's very easy to find recordings of persian masters on the web.

She already must know Hassan Kassâ'i, Hossein Omoumi, Mohammad Mousavi.

Ney radif is almost the same as the vocals one.
If she can get a version of Mahmud Karimi's radif, Shajarian, or Hassan Kassâ'i, she can do it by herself.

If she don't find any radif on the web, i can do a research in persian, let me know.

She also has to listen to some duo vocal and ney in order to hear the way the vocal intonation is made on the ney.

Persian music is a vocal music. Since a few years, larger compositions exist, but everything is based on vocal music and poetry.
antaus
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-6-2016 at 12:37 AM

Thank you Franck ! I'll pass the info !
juju
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-8-2016 at 10:50 AM

Making the your very first sound on persian ney is a real challenge ...

I play the (occidental) flute for many years, and I had the opportunity to work in Teheran in 2003. I bought somes neys there into the conservatory of Teheran ... I bought them without trying ...

When I came back to France, it was impossible for me to make a single sound with those neys ... I knew the instruments were good, their quality was not the question, but my technique was ... I didn't touch these instruments for years. After that I met a saxophon player who showed me the ney technique and gave me some advises ... I think that it took me ONE WHOLE week of intense playin' (blowin' !!!) to make my first note ...

Go To Top