Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: New book: Taqasim by Ali Kisserwan
IlPersiano
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 07:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mandaloun2015  
Dear Paul
First many thanks for your kind compliment
And about the missing CD, Many apologies for this mistake..
I will check with the publisher and know what happened
For you, please send me your email address and I, personally, will send you the files included in the CD

Sorry again

Best

Dear Mandaloun,
I got the same issue. It seems that none of the books has a CD. I just was at the Cairo Book Fair and talk with the guy from the publishing company.
Could you please send the mp3 to my email address?
I would appreciate that very much. Thanks
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 08:02 AM

A question please: On the actual CD are the sound files the original playing or the midi files or both?

Hi all, hope you are all fine

Taqasim Rast for George Michael is an example from: Taqasim book by Ali Kisserwan
you will find attached here the Music Sheet and mp3 file extracted from the sheet (the mp3 file lost some of its quality because it had been compressed), as well you will find the origin source of the taqasim attached here too.

Best Regards

Dear suz_i_dil

It is a practical and not analytical book, though, there is analysis only for the Maqams from the book of the conference conducted in Cairo in 1932 till our recent times. Also, an appendix for the Maqams and how they are represented in certain scales and their transpositions.

thank you for your interest.
mandaloun2015
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 09:18 AM

Dear ilPersiano

We checked with the publisher, and on Monday the CDs must be available
Please pass by the publisher on Monday and get yours

Best
mandaloun2015
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 09:23 AM

Dear Jody Stecher

On the CD attached with the book, there is only the sound files that are exported from the musical sheets. The Original files are available on the internet sites. So in every taqsim in the book, you can find the source mentioned..

Best
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 09:36 AM

Dear Jody Stecher

On the CD attached with the book, there is only the sound files that are exported from the musical sheets. The Original files are available on the internet sites. So in every taqsim in the book, you can find the source mentioned..

Best

thank you. in that case everyone worried about the missing CD can stop worrying. When I get my copy, and I certainly hope to get one, I won't worry about the CD either. It would be a sad day when oud players try to emulate the sound on the midi files. Good news that the originals can be found on the internet.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 10:03 AM

Interesting, I'm not sure about finding some of these recordings.
The Qassabji, Sounbati, Farid, Naqishbandi, George Michel, Abdel Wahab, are easy enough.

But I've only been able to find two taqasim by Bahij Mikatia. Where are the other 5?
I can't find any recordings of Saeed Salam at all.

Is there a discography or source for these recordings? Perhaps a youtube playlist could be made?

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
mandaloun2015
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 10:03 AM

Dear Jody Stecher

The aim of the CD is to help the reader reading the note, because the written taqasim needs a progressive ability for reading of the note, especially about the embellishments and the rythmical forms.. That is why it is important
Note that in p 14 in the book, you can find "every taqasim has its acoustic file in order to facilitate its study and how to play it, but it is not sufficient and we have to go back to the original records"
Many readers who get the CD found it helpful and important
Regards
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 10:56 AM

Dear Jody Stecher

The aim of the CD is to help the reader reading the note, because the written taqasim needs a progressive ability for reading of the note, especially about the embellishments and the rythmical forms.. That is why it is important
Note that in p 14 in the book, you can find "every taqasim has its acoustic file in order to facilitate its study and how to play it, but it is not sufficient and we have to go back to the original records"
Many readers who get the CD found it helpful and important
Regards

First let me say that I am glad this work was done and published and I look forward to obtaining a copy when it becomes available in the USA.

I see your point, and I guess the files are better than nothing, if the user of the file understands that the dynamics of the risha stroke of the human oudist was nothing like the midi sound. Besides the lack of variety of sound in timbre and volume in the midi there is another problem: The midi is an accurate reproduction of the timing indicated in the transcription. But the transcription is unavoidably an approximation of the timing of the players. This is not a criticism of the skills of the transcriber. There are limits to how accurate notation can be in portraying subtleties of timing. It *can* be done exactly but it would involve 64th notes and 32nd note rests, and rests that are notated as triplets etc, and be so cluttered as to be unreadable.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 11:52 AM

On second thought maybe a totally accurate transcription of a skillful taqsim cannot be done. I'm thinking this because of small increments of speed change in the middle of a phrase.
mandaloun2015
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 12:30 PM

Dear Jody Setcher
According to my knowledge while following up the work of the book,
The author wrote the notes after playing them on oud itself and not on any midi instrument
As well you can find some of the taqasims played by the author himself on his Facebook account: Ali Kisserwan
Appreciate your notes
mandaloun2015
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 12:41 PM

Dear Brian Prunka

In p 14 in the taqasim book the author mentioned the following
(The largest part of this taqasim is available on the Internet with the exception of most Bahij Mikati's taqasim. And that Bahij Mikati's taqasims are from the archive of Lebanese Broadcasting and other sources)
And in p 61 you will find the following regarding Saeed Salam
Saeed salam's taqasims are from takasim and melodies (sonodisc cd 10046)
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 12:53 PM

Perhaps an 'anonymous' youtube account with access to the Mikati taqasim could upload them to youtube.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 04:36 PM

Dear Jody Setcher
According to my knowledge while following up the work of the book,
The author wrote the notes after playing them on oud itself and not on any midi instrument
As well you can find some of the taqasims played by the author himself on his Facebook account: Ali Kisserwan
Appreciate your notes

Yes, of course. I'm talking about midi or midi-type *playback* , not midi as generator of the notes. I am sure the transcriptions are top quality, that they come from oud, and as accurate as it is possible to be in transcribing non-metred music.
ameer
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 08:14 PM

I would be very interested in hearing the Bahij Miqati recordings. There are only two on the internet and hardly anyone knows who he is. That is very unfortunate.
mandaloun2015
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-8-2016 at 02:18 AM

What was mentioned about maqam mahur in Taqasim book

Maqam Mahur

- Mahur is a Persian word, it means the Crescent.
Mahur is one of the maqamat, in which opinions are different, it is summarized as follows:
- Cairo Conference book 1932: it belongs to Rast Family (Fasilah). The first jins is of two kinds, Rast and Jiharkah of four (Tetrachord) on Rast degree in ascending case, adding jins Nikriz of four to them in descending case. The second jins is Ajam of four on Nawa degree in ascending case, and it becomes Nahawand of four in descending case. The third jins is Rast of four on Kirdan. The work begins by showing the third jins, and the maqam identity shows jins Nikriz and jins Jiharkah on Rast degree.
- Tawfiq al-Sabbagh says in his book: Majmu’at Qita’ Musiqiyyah Sharqiyyah (Collection of Eastern Musical Pieces) that Maqam Mahur is a Rast that begins from Jawabat (Higher Octave).
- Saleh al-Mahdi says in his book: Maqamat al Musiqah al ‘arabiyya (Maqamat of Arabic Music) that Maqam Mahur rests on Rast degree, it corresponds Do majeur in the western music.
- Turks define its intervals by “Commas” as follows (from left to right): 9949994.
This is about what is written about this maqam.
I had avoided presenting my opinion in the subject of Maqamat of Arabic Music, but I felt satisfied by presenting it starting from Cairo Conference book 1932, down to what is used nowadays, but in the future we will have our opinion which will be raised in another book.
Finally, we will mention what had been said by Mr. Ra’uf Yakta Bek, who was representing with Mas’ud Jamil Bek Turkey in Cairo Conference 1932. Ra’uf Yakta Bek was the chief of the committee of maqamat, rhythm and composing, he said in his book Readings and Opinions about Arabic Music Conference (pp. 72-73): if the committee of the musical scale could reach to a fateful solution about the scale, then we will be able in the committee of maqamat to classify the maqamat in a scientific way, since the failure of the committee of the musical scale in her mission was a reason, unfortunately, to obstruct our purposes in the committee of maqamat. Where we were obliged to classify the maqamat according to its genres (Ajnas) practically instead of classifying them scientifically. And such classification has no importance from the scientific point of view”. Consider!?.
IlPersiano
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-8-2016 at 07:16 AM

Dear ilPersiano

We checked with the publisher, and on Monday the CDs must be available
Please pass by the publisher on Monday and get yours

Best

Thank you Mandaloun! Im in touch with Ali.
Btw I agree with Brian that not all the sound files can be found online. So the CD is better then nothing, as someone else wrote as well.
And I guess what Mandaloun meant as files, is the actual original recording, not ONLY the midi file.
mandaloun2015
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 01:43 AM

Dear ilPersiano

I am glad to know that you got the CD

Appreciate your comments too

Best
mandaloun2015
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 01:47 AM

Dear all

Taqasim book by Ali Kisserwan will be available at the Arab book fair
Hold in Casablanca-Morocco
12/2/2016-21/2/2016

As well, Ali Kisserwan's another book, titled: Rawa'i' al-Muwashshahat
(In Arabic) will be available too

Best Regards
IlPersiano
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 12:08 PM

Dear ilPersiano

I am glad to know that you got the CD

Appreciate your comments too

Best

Yes Mandaloun, got it. Thank you for helping with that.
mandaloun2015
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-14-2016 at 03:19 PM

hi all

Taqasim book

content

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 01:05 PM

I've listened also to the records you provide, and those of Ali Kisserwan on youtube...great work !

To join the global feedbacks, I think though it's a miss not to have an open source for the original records.
The idea of an " anonymous " youtube account is good though... Not free criticize. I mean it's a huge and valuable work Ali Kisserwan has made. But the pedagogical value would be even greater with the original records to listen, I think

Best regards

mandaloun2015
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-20-2016 at 03:19 AM

Dear suz_i_dil
Appreciate your comment
I will contact the author if he could help us with getting the files that are missed in the internet especially for bahij mikati and saeed salam

Best wishes
mandaloun2015
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-28-2016 at 12:01 PM

From Taqasim book

Taqasim Nahawand - Bahij Mikati

Played by Ali kisserwan

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10207911452128088&id=1350094157
mandaloun2015
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-3-2016 at 04:29 AM

From Taqasim book

Taqasim Bayati (Rabih song) - Farid al-Atrash

Played by Ali kisserwan

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10208784715359123&id=1350094157
mandaloun2015
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 10:41 AM

Hi all
To whom it may concern
Taqasim book by Ali Kisserwan will be available in Riyadh international book fair, which will be hekd between 9-19 March 2016, in Maared Center, al-Maaref Forum chamber

Best
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top