Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kerfing (or lining) for the joining of the top tonewood, and bowl.
Soheil
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 06:04 AM
Kerfing (or lining) for the joining of the top tonewood, and bowl.

Kerfing (or lining) provides a gluing surface for the joining of the tops, and sides of guitar , I wonder if any one try kerfing for tonewood and bowl of oud
- I think that this will give more strength for the bowl
- I wonder if this will effect the quality of the oud sound
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 07:11 AM

I would not use guitar kerfing because it's too big. I glue a thin strip of maybe 2-2.5mm around the edge of the bowl. Depending on the thickness of the ribs, this should be sufficient enough for a gluing surface for the soundboard. It should also be thin enough not to impact the tone in a negative way.

Hibari-San
Oud Maniac

Mood: contented

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 07:16 AM

Hi Soheil,

I'm just in the beginning of oud building journey, but what I found out in this forum and other sources is the following.
First and for most, keep it as traditional as u can and try not to mix in elements of other instruments "anatomy" especially if you collected experience with construction of other instruments. Oud is Oud and Guitar is Guitar :D

The second big thing I learned is to build the oud with barely enough material and reinforcement that it just holds together if stringed up. Like flamenco guitars. I tended to install elements for additional strength on my first two ouds, but these weren't really necessary and the oud's became very stiff, not so respondant.

At least I love to experiment, too. Maybe u should give it a try and see what comes out ! :)
Good luck & welcome !

Best regards

Hibari
--------------------------------------------------------
"If you spend to much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done. Make at least one definite
move daily toward your goal."
- Bruce Lee -
Soheil
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 02:08 PM

Thanks for your response and comment,
I will try to use a thin strip and see what happens
Soheil
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 09:26 PM

Thanks for your response and comment,
I will try to use a thin strip and see what happens
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 1-26-2016 at 09:49 AM

It has been my experience repairing ouds since 1970 that the best sounding ouds are very fragile, with the soundboard just "floating" on the braces and not touching the ribs at all. The edge is closed by the edging whether a continuous band or laminated sections. Any additional structure added to make the oud more robust will restrict the sound, making it sound more like a guitar. Both tone quality and sustain will be affected. A comparison with flamenco vs classic guitars is somewhat similar. The flamenco sound is "snarfy" somewhat hollow, loud and edgy, while the classic guitar is mellow and less volume. This is due to the flamenco's structure which is thinner and lighter than a classic guitar. I have restored many ouds repaired by guitar technicians, that have lost the sound of the original oud by adding guitar structural features. After removing the extra bracing or whatever they added, the sound can be restored. The structure of the oud is the result of thousands of years of experimentation, (archeological evidence of stringed instruments goes back 2,500 years). I believe the formula has been well proven by now. Your time is better spent developing the building skill rather than trying to re-invent the design.

Go To Top