Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Faruk Türünz String Recommendations
DavidJE
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-28-2016 at 09:59 AM
Faruk Türünz String Recommendations

There have been many threads here regarding string recommendations for Türünz ouds, including this one I started a couple of days ago. I had tried to get specific recommendations from Faruk in the past, but was unsuccessful. Yesterday I talked to one of the guys who works with Faruk and makes his ouds, Zeynel Demirtas, who also plays them very well, and he gave me specific recommendations.

Zeynel told me that they put Özten/old Kürschner strings on the reduced price ouds, and Pyramid Lute strings on the custom single and double soundboard ouds. He said that he uses Pyramid Lute strings on his Türünz ouds, as does Yurdal Tokcan, and he recommended the following for the standard Turkish and Arabic tunings on all Türünz ouds:

Arabic Tuning (cgdAFC): PVF 0,59/ PVF 0,68/ 1012/ 1018/ 1025/ 1240
Turkish Tuning (daeBF#C#): 0,54 pvf/ 0,63 pvf/ 1008/1015/1021/1240

The only thing I'd like to add is that in my experience, with both of my Türünz ouds, the 2nd course needs to be thinner than .64 PVF to avoid pretty bad buzzing. When I use the .68 PVF strings that Zeynel recommended, I get pretty serious buzzing on the 2nd course, due to the strings hitting each other from side to side. I use PVF .62 on the 2nd course and PVF .52 on the 1st course, and that solves the problem with those trebles. Maybe other people have different experience...

Go To Top