Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Murata guitar rest for oud (suction cup model)
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 1-30-2016 at 11:59 AM
Murata guitar rest for oud (suction cup model)

Hello,

I'd like to share my excitement with what turns out to be a relatively old product in the classical guitar world that is proving incredibly useful for me in my oud playing.

I highly recommend you try the Murata Guitar Rest linked here: Murata Link

I had to customize it by sawing off (with hacksaw) just under 3cm from the middle rod, but now it works great and is still adjustable.

I've found my best comfort level is using it on the left thigh as classical guitarists generally do (as opposed to my right, which is what I was most used to before).

This allows me to sit normally and uncontorted when I play. It is also extremely useful when performing at a bar or restaurant where you are sitting in a high bar stool in order to be seen by the customers. In the past, I would be forced to contort in all sorts of uncomfortable and unsustainable positions in order to hold my oud at a decent playing position. This instrument rest makes everything much easier, though I have had to experiment and slightly adjust my playing position from before.

Optimally for oud, I feel the whole apparatus could be shorter, but with the simple customization I did already it's working great.

Let me know if you try it out too!

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 2-2-2016 at 07:28 PM

There's another alternative to assist holding the oud: The Oud Grip, a simple piece of specially tanned leather that provides a more stable surface on your leg, providing more freedom for both hands.

http://www.droud.com/images/Oudgrip.shtml

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 2-2-2016 at 07:42 PM

There are many products and homemade solutions for preventing slipping, but my main point on this post was about the height of the instrument while playing - eliminating the use of a footrest in a regular chair, or uncomfortable positions when sitting in a high stool.

This murata device takes a little getting used to, and would be better for oud if it was a little shorter, but overall I think it is quite helpful.

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse

Go To Top