Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: K&K Twin Spot Positioning
tkmasuda
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 07:12 AM
K&K Twin Spot Positioning

I'd like to attach a K&K Twin Spot (external) to my Shehata oud. Any tips on how to choose the right spots to attach the two pickups?

Here's the general idea from K&K: http://kksound.com/instruments/oud.php

I'd appreciate hearing about your experiences with this thing.

I'm going to run it through a Yamaha THR10 practice amp or a Princeton Reverb.
rootsguitar
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 09:05 AM

Hi,

I started using a K&K external twinspot to amplify my Renaissance lute last summer. I ended up attaching both discs close to the bridge & underneath the strings.

The wires added a lot of background noise until I taped them down like in that photo.

I routed the wires so that my Rt arm wouldn't be brushing them.

I think its a worthy product & recently got an internal twin spot as I think attaching them directly under the bridge will give a better, maybe bigger(?) sound and eventually decided the wires are better off hidden.

Still haven't installed it though...not 100% sure I want to drill into the bowl!

also started taping this new one to other instruments to see how they sound...

A Great price on both units made them worth a try.

Good luck
tkmasuda
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 06:58 AM

Thanks, rg. We're you able to move the dots around to find the best positions? Also, do you use a preamp?
rootsguitar
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 07:47 AM

Hey glad for your post it got me looking closer at the gear they offer...

I moved them around a lot & found clear packing tape worked well for quick tests. A more careful taping job can happen after one decides on the choice location.

I'm attaching some pics of this Shourangiz with the " internal twinspot " on the outside.

On the back of the bowl & the wooden part of the sound board the discs didn't transmit much to the amp. On the hide part the sound really came alive. I rlly like the results, its a good strong signal.

I know this seems reasonable on a hide soundboard but tells me the loudest part of the instrument seems like a good location if you want to have a lot of sound to work w your EQ or a pre amp.

I do use a Fishman-pro eqll- pre amp with the lute but maybe since its such a naturally quiet instrument I still am trying to find better ways to get a stronger sound for live events...

I liked the look of that K&K Definity system w their own pre amp too.

bet it works great

I might even try that next as it looks like my lute's new pickup just got re delegated before I could install it.

Am interested in where you find works best on an oud too...

tkmasuda
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 12:33 PM

That's a cool looking instrument, rg. Thanks for your input.

Just used scotch tape to try different spots on the oud, including the bridge. Eventually ended up more or less like the K&K photo; it really was like adjusting the bass and treble. I recorded the various dot positions on a loop pedal to hear just pickups without the acoustic sound. Putting the dots right on the most sensitive or loudest spots of the oud face made for a harsh attack, especially on the treble strings. I don't have a preamp yet, but that's probably the way to end up with a more dimensional sound.

NB for others considering this:
The sound is very dynamic and sensitive; better than expected. The timbre of the sound is kind of brittle though.
The jack is large and awkward, and sticks out enough to interfere with fitting in a hard case and on a stand.
The wires conduct quite a bit of sound, too, as roots noted above.
You can tape the dots on your face and it sounds hilarious. Taping them on a kid's face is even funnier, especially with a wah pedal.
On the oud it's just as ugly as you've imagined!
rootsguitar
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-8-2016 at 07:46 AM

Well put tkmasuda,

I would add that the " internal " has a metal cable jack ( w no flat bracket) & seems identical otherwise to the " external " model.

K&K face spot with wah pedal sounds like great experimenting!

I appreciate when fun adds to the music.

I'll keep an eye on this thread as am interested in hearing other's experience with these systems too, especially when they can be added & removed easily enough.

This shourangiz has been a cool adventure & adding the amplification element really spins my approach in a good way,

dampening w hand heel effects etc..

I'm adding a clip of a wild balalaika performance, hope it doesn't distract too much from your thread...

I think " electrifying " this player's instrument really made it come alive... plenty of joy & virtuosity to boot:

https://youtu.be/5JqeSU7lSLE

Go To Top