Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 1971 GARABED S. DER-BEDROSSIAN OUD face restoration
shalom
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 04:41 AM
1971 GARABED S. DER-BEDROSSIAN OUD face restoration

hello to all of you here...this is my first post here so please you will excuse me if i am not in the right place and also my english some times are not so good..

about 35 years ago my father bought an a bedrossian oud and it is in my family since than.. it is an amazing oud with the most extraordinery sound very deep and harmonic sound with great volume...unfortunately the face of the oud and the peg box has faild threw the passing years and now i want to make another face and also the peg box ..my father is a violin maker so he plan to fix it by himself..for me it is very spacial oud i grew up with him.
i have been traveling with him around the world when i started to play the oud not realize what a treasure i have in my hand, i was young and by that time it was difficult to have information about things like that no internet no computers.
when i have realized what oud we have it was to late and i feel so bad about it..
please if you can help me in any way i will appreaciate it very much..

the face of the oud is decorated with sadaf(moter of pearls) white and black
(i will put some pictures of the oud what ever i will find) and we want to transfer it to the new face. some of the sadaf are missing and some are broken
my problem is that i can't find where to buy the black pearl with the white dots on it i searchrd the net and i could not find it
can you pinpoint me to somewhere... also if there is a tutorial of how to mount the sadaf correctly on the face any thing that you can think of that will help me with this project any thing..thank you very much

i will update you with the progress of the face restotation when ever i can if you would like

thank you anyway

p.s: i bought richard hankey's book "the oud constraction and repair"

[file]38114[/file] [file]38121[/file] [file]38120[/file] [file]38119[/file] [file]38118[/file] [file]38117[/file] [file]38116[/file] [file]38115[/file]
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 09:27 AM

I would recommend repairing the original face and re-mount it. If you make a new face you will lose the sound of the original, and reduce the value of the oud. Cracks or seams in the face can be glued together with hot hide glue, reinforced on the inside with parchment paper infused with hide glue. Don't add any more wood to the face for reinforcement, it's unnecessary and will affect the sound.

Removing and re-applying the sadaf is a daunting task, not worth the trouble and probably impossible to save all the old inlay. If you must, tou can cut the inlayaid sections completely out of the old face, then sand the back down to the sadaf. Do not try to remove the inlay piece by piece. For missing pieces you can find sadaf from guitar material sources in the internet. It can be cut with a bi-metal saw and sanded to shape with silicone carbide wet/dry sandpaper. Keep the sadaf wet with water or oil while cutting and sanding as the dust is very noxious, even toxic.

The black sections are mastic, which is an adhesive available from most hardware stores. It's used to set tiles and other sealing purposes. There is no black mother of pearl.

shalom
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 10:53 AM

thank you richard for your help i really appreciate it..this is great information for me

you are so right about not to replace the face this was also my opinion but a friend of my father who call himself "oud maker" destroyed it.. he riped of the sadaf from the face very brutly until the face break to pieces i was so angry about it but now there's nothing to do only to make a new one...the story of this oud is that this is the second time the face is replaced my father bought the oud from an oud maker from nazarreth by the name kamil muwaise who replaced the orginal face of the oud (but still the sound was amazing).. kamil muwaise was a very known oud maker and repair here in israel...

about the mastic if it is an adhessive so how is there a white dot in it can you please explain to me in short how to use it

again thank you very much dr. oud it is not taken for grantrd

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 12:07 PM

Kamil mowais's and his son Simaan Mowais are still making ouds and he could repair your oud by making a new face.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
shalom
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 12:52 PM

wow i didn't know that he is still alive this is great news thank you very much i will search for him

thank you my friend
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 01:08 PM

that's his email:

kameelmowaisoud@gmail.com

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 01:18 PM

That is heartbreaking. Kameel Mowais is an excellent maker, it's possible his face was even an improvement over the original. I thought the face looked odd for a Bedrossian. It makes sense that it was actually Mowais's face.

Whatever you do, you should make notes on the thickness, height and position of braces.
Save the braces if possible.
shalom
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 01:47 PM

thank you all this is life saving what you are doing here thank you all
i am writing an email to him right now
i allready took notes of the braces and i saved the old face
thank you i will updaet you all of the progress
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 03:41 PM

The dot is probably sadaf, (MOP, mother of pearl) you can buy dots online:
http://www.dominicartinlay.com/inlay_dot.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Mother-of-Pearl-inlay-dots-6-35mm-1-4-x...

or bone

I have not used mastic, but it seems simple, make a mold for the shape, spread some out, place the dots, then sand it flat after it cures.

shalom
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-16-2016 at 02:27 AM

Thank you richard for your help...

I am thinking of to give it to camil muawiz from nazareth to make a new face..this forum is great i didn't know that he is still with us.. god bless him.. i will try to contact him and see what come up with it..

Anyway thank you a lot..

:bowdown:

Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 2-16-2016 at 04:09 AM

Very good choice.
Sima'an Mowais is available at 972502126734.
I'm here to help , if you need any.
Good luck

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
shalom
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-16-2016 at 04:28 AM

i will contact him thank you alfaraby

Go To Top