Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fathi amin oud, I might buy one and need help
saravan
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-23-2016 at 03:51 PM
Fathi amin oud, I might buy one and need help

Hi,

I am looking for an oud, and found someone who has one, made by Fathi Amin about 45 years ago. I haven't yet seen it with my own eyes, but I have got some pictures and information about the history and the repairs made. I also asked for a sound sample.

The instrument was brought to northern Europe from France. Here it has been owned by a couple of different people, but at least in the last years it has not been played much.

There are some cracks on the back side, which all have been repaired. Also one on the cover.. They are visible but do not affect playing the instrument. The tuner machinery has been replaced.

I am new with ouds, and I would like to ask for more information: Does it sound like a good purchase (for someone with little experience)? How much would be a reasonable price for an oud like this? The seller was talking about 800-900 euros.

Now when I'm writing this I feel like just buying a new one, but if you have any good comments, please let me know!

ameer
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-23-2016 at 04:52 PM

When you say "cover" do you mean the face/soundboard? You don't mention that the face cracks have been repaired; is it correct that they have not? I wouldn't pay that much for an oud with unrepaired cracks unless you wanted to put more money into restoring it. For a beginner I advise against it.
saravan
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-24-2016 at 02:27 AM

Yes, I mean the face. There is a crack from the beginning of the the neck until the sound hole, and for what I understood that is not repaired. But I have to ask about that.

Thank you for your answer!

If anyone has or knows where to get a good, reasonably-priced oud within Europe, I am interested in knowing more.

Go To Top