Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: help finding someone to repair an oud
sssence
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-27-2016 at 05:19 PM
help finding someone to repair an oud

Hello all. First let me start by saying I am not an oud player, or any musician for that matter (aside from saxophone in high school).
I sold a Nazih Ghadban oud to a gentleman in Virginia who is having difficulty with a string on the oud he purchased. I have done my due diligence in sending him links and videos on stringing and general oud maintenance, but he is still having problems even after viewing the links & videos. His English isn't the best, so me trying to explain to him how to do something for which I have no knowledge is difficult. I have been searching online all morning for oud repair information (are oud repariman considered luthiers?), but I can't seem to nail down any kind of phone number so that I can talk to someone.
Anyway, I reviewed information on this forum prior to listing and selling the item, so I thought I would reach out for help in finding some information for oud repair in the US. If there is anyone out there that can assist me with some information, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you in advance.
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 2-28-2016 at 09:08 AM

There are several oud makers who can help you, what is your location? I'm in Sacramento, CA,
richard@droud.com

in SF bay area there's Gary Haggerty
http://www.oudandsaz.com/

in Belmont, MA, Peter Keyvelos,
Unique Strings Inc
165 Belmont St
Belmont, MA 02478
Phone: (617) 489-1254

NY, NY- Najib Shaheen
http://oudman.com/

LA - Viken Najarian
http://www.oud.net/

Beacon, NY - John Vergara
http://www.johnvergaramusic.com/

alaaraj
Oud Junkie

Mood: Tuning!

[*] posted on 2-28-2016 at 09:16 AM

When it comes to Oud, Richard (Dr Oud) has the best answer :-)
sssence
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-29-2016 at 10:13 AM

Hello Dr. Oud. I actually went to your website but couldn't find a phone number anywhere. I was hoping that you were on this forum and would see my cry for help! Thanks for your reply and any assistance you can offer.

The oud that was sold was a Nazih Ghadban. I am located in MO but it was shipped to a buyer in VA. Here is the eBay item number that has very detailed pictures: 121871068316 (I was hesitant to post a link to a sales site).
The buyer claims one of the pegs will not allow the string to be tightened. He is interested in keeping it and having it repaired, however, neither of us has any knowledge of an oud (buyer has never played one and is looking for someone in his area to give him lessons). I am interested to find out if this issue is something that is user serviceable, or if it would require professional repair. If the latter is the case I would like to assist him in not only finding someone to repair it, but also to help cover any cost of repair. Of course it would be ideal to find someone in his area for any repair needed, but if shipping is necessary this is definitely an option.

Again, thanks in advance for any and all help.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-29-2016 at 12:04 PM

Any luthier who works on violins can repair/replace an oud peg.
Ghadban pegs are usually good so the complaint seems unlikely to be correct—it may just be that he is unfamiliar with friction tuning pegs.
Regardless, a violin repair shop would be able to do it.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-29-2016 at 12:10 PM

My goodness! you don't have to ship an oud hundreds or thousands of miles for a stuck peg. The peg will not tighten. Will it loosen? If so, loosen it all the way and remove the string. Rub some "peg dope" (Hill's compound is excellent) on the part of the shaft that contacts the wood in the peghead. Return the peg to its hole and turn in both directions until turning is smooth. If the peg will not loosen either, put the small end of a wooden chopstick against the small end of the peg (NOT THE HANDLE) and tap the large end of the chopstick firmly but gently with a hammer (something shorter than a chopstick is even better). the peg should pop out. If that doesn't work bring the oud to a place with low humidity and leave it there for 24 hours. That should loosen the peg enough to remove it and apply the Hill's compound.
sssence
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-1-2016 at 07:34 AM

Thanks for this great information everyone. Unfortunately the buyer is refusing to even attempt any kind of fix/repair to the peg himself and wants me to find someone in his area to which he can take the oud to have it looked at. I'm going to be calling violin repair/music centers in the Reston, VA area today (buyer is being belligerent about this issue and wants it done ASAP). If anyone has any recommendations of a luthier in that area, feel free to let me know.
Again, I greatly appreciate everyones input!
sssence
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-3-2016 at 08:44 AM

Just wanted to give an update on the situation in case anyone is interested: I called a few violin repair shops in Reston, got the buyer to take the oud into one to check it out, and, lo and behold, the peg just needed some lube (as mentioned above). Buyer called and thanked me for my effort, then proceeded to tell me if he could not find anyone to tune his oud he would be sending it back, so...I guess you can't win them all. Thanks for everyone's responses on here!
ameer
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-3-2016 at 09:14 AM

I really have to wonder what someone who can't tune an oud and has no plan to learn how is doing spending (presumably significant) money on one.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-3-2016 at 12:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ameer  
I really have to wonder what someone who can't tune an oud and has no plan to learn how is doing spending (presumably significant) money on one.

I had the same thought when I read that he was reluctant to tap out a stuck peg. Does he think there is such a thing as an oud tuner, like a piano tuner who comes to your house? And God help him when it's time to change strings. I am reminded of the young son of a friend of mine. Many years ago when the boy was small he said he wanted an electric guitar. His dad had a buddy who worked at a nearby music shop and together they built a small electric guitar from spare parts. The boy was presented the guitar on his birthday and was delighted. But then when he removed the guitar from the case he was upset and puzzled. He said " where's the sound? where's the music"? Somehow he had the idea that an electric guitar plays itself. You plug it in like a toaster, push some button and IT does the rest. I wonder if our Reston oud owner thinks his oud will play itself once tuned. And I wonder if he thinks it will remain in tune forever after.

Go To Top