Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for a decent oud in the UK
ma_sabba
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-3-2016 at 08:24 PM
Looking for a decent oud in the UK

Hello. I have been playing the oud passionately for a while but unfortunately the oud I got from my home country (Bahrain) had the pegbox crack which I promptly fixed. Sadly it happened again and because of the glue used and the intensiveness of the fracture it could not be fixed.

As a student I am a bit impatient to return to my country to get a oud. I would like to purchase an oud in the UK and I am willing to buy online. Sadly, from my experience as a person who plays guitar and fretless bass my instincts are very skeptical of the ones I find online online. For example, while this oud seems nice:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BE4TXRC?keywords=egyptian%20o...

The guitarist in me is saying "Who the hell buys instruments from Amazon!"

I have had many experiences buying used instruments and undergoing a giant journey of fixing them up. However doing this to a oud, while rewarding can be extremely frustrating with e.g. peg issues that need specialized tools. I would like a reliable instrument.

Currently I am in the Southeast. My budget max is around 300 GBP but if the instrument is spectacular I am willing to invest more.
alaaraj
Oud Junkie

Mood: Tuning!

[*] posted on 3-4-2016 at 02:43 AM

Hello Ma_Sabba

I found buying a decent Oud in UK quite a difficult task especially when you have a small budget .. Occasionally you get nice ones on eBay and also here on this forum, which, if nearby you can test them yourself ..

The other option is buying from Michael Moussa, he's based in Barnsley (South Yorkshire), he sells very good instruments but something in the region of £600-700 .. He's very honest and kind, and you may pay him a visit and see his Ouds yourself ..

When are you looking to buy??

Kind regards

Alaaraj
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 3-4-2016 at 06:37 PM

Unfortunately, the Oud market is quite different from the Guitar market and buying Ouds in person is often difficult.

I would recommend Michael Moussa if you must buy in person.

But Maurice apprentice Ouds from mauriceoudshop.com are about in your price range, and I've heard nothing but good things about them so far.

River Angel
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 10:59 AM

I've sent you a U2U message.

Go To Top