Author: Subject: Dropbox, Facebook etc.
Marcus
Oud Junkie

Mood: Lost in music

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 06:33 AM
Dropbox, Facebook etc.

Dear fellow oudies,:wavey:

I`m not only a oud-junkie, I`m also a addicted Mikes-Ouds-Forums-User.:D
I love to watch pictures of different ouds, listen to recordings and watch videos of profs and members.
Sadly, more and more vids etc. are posted in Facebook, Dropbox and similar "social networks" or filesharing-websites, so they are only availiable if you`re a registered member .
I, and presumably many others, dont like to register in this "communitys", and I really dont like FB.
So, why not post pictures here, even if it is a bit tricky to post more than 1 file and the upload-limit is small. It still works good for pics + mp3`s.
If you`ll post a video, there are sites like youtube or soundcloud, where the link is enough to watch them, without being a registered member.

I would be very happy to share 100% again.

Cheers,
Marcus

Playing the oud is like feeding my soul with peace
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 07:56 AM

Marcus, I avoid Facebook like the plague, and an early version of Dropbox permanently ruined an older computer I had. I have every reason to be wary. But you do not have to be a dropbox member to receive files via dropbox if the files are properly uploaded. Recent postings here via dropbox were not uploaded in this simple harmless way. So, like you, I don't get to see files that require membership in dropbox etc. I'm sure some will dismiss me as an antiquated hopeless Luddite, but I'd rather endure their poor opinion of me than have to once again deal with ridding my computer of the malicious crap that gets put there by these entities. Dropbox actually denied me access to my own files on my own computer and it planted software in my hard drive that re-arranged my files. I ended up on the telephone with the inventor of this software who was appalled that it was used in this way by Dropbox and who spent hours with me on the phone until many hours after midnight until my computer was fully rid of what had been put on its hard drive. The computer never recovered though. But if you just use dropbox to receive files and do not register and do not install dropbox software your computer is quite safe. I've received files in this way many times on my present computer.
ameer
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 07:59 AM

Actually the recent dropbox links aren't even viewable by members. They are only viewable by the person who uploaded them.
abc123xyz
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 08:23 PM

Well I have no problem using Facebook, and log onto it almost every day, but even so viewing photos posted there can sometimes be a problem.

You often encounter people who don't know how to adjust the privacy settings on their photos so that everybody on Facebook can see them too.

More than once I've been in the quasi-comical position of alerting someone to that problem, only to have them log onto their *own* account and insist that they can see the photo just fine xD

Not to criticize anybody, but personally it just seems friendlier and more considerate to post stuff where everybody can see it without having to jump through hoops.

David

stevepalmer
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-26-2016 at 11:36 PM

Facebook is fantastic for networking. I was wary of it at first, but it has brought me a lot of new friends and many new fans. There are plenty of 'oud people' on Facebook - including Michael Moussa!
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 3-26-2016 at 11:48 PM

Yes, it's a shame more people are posting to Facebook and not YouTube. These videos just get lost in the feed.

But man, if I didn't stay on Facebook I would miss out on Bashir Abu Alaa Ouds' videos he posts. Anyway, here is his channel on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/bashirouds

Go To Top