Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Purchase An Oud In Istanbul
kmhutto
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 07:54 PM
Purchase An Oud In Istanbul

I am currently traveling and will be making a month long pass through Istanbul sometime in the coming months (~August - September). I am very interested in purchasing an Arabic style Oud while there.

Where would be the best place to purchase an Oud, from a reputable dealer, at a reasonable price. I'm on a budget and cannot spend more than $500 but would prefer somewhere closer to $300. I am not concerned so much with aesthetic as I am with a good deep sound quality.

If it would make sense, I would also consider getting a custom built Oud, but I image that this would be more expensive. Any advice? Thanks!
franck leriche
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 04:58 AM

I don't believe you can find a new decent arabic oud in istanbul for that price.
There are few builders who make arabic style oud in istanbul, and they all charge more. Under 1500$, you hardly can find a custom oud.
If you go to izmir, you may look for "cheap oud" company, pretty cheap and good build.
Life in istanbul is expensive so don't expect anything good and cheap.
Also most of turkish arabic ouds don't have a deep sound, they can be very good but not really deep in the arabic tradition.
Maybe you can find a used one on sahibinden.com but mostly are turkish ouds.
I may go very soon in istanbul, i can ask some syrian friends if they have any clue. Let me know if you want me to do it.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 07:08 AM

Franck is correct.
kmhutto
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 01:06 AM

Oh wow, thanks for the info. I was aware that they go up in price pretty quick, but didn't realize to that extreme. I'm not a professional player, just a hobbyist. I may certainly check out Izmir. I'm not put off by a cheaper instrument so long as it's of decent enough quality, as well I'm certainly not put off by different styles - Turkish Oud's just sound a bit to bright for my tastes.

I would really appreciate any additional advice in procuring a decent instrument. I could go a bit higher, but I really am on budget unfortunately. As well, I may be possibly making a trip to Jordan (not sure where yet). Would that be a better place to get an Oud?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 05:23 AM

Jordan would be better if you want an Arabic oud. You might be able to find a Sukar or other Syrian oud there.
I think "OudProff" is in Jordan . . . he has a lot of good ouds and may have something in your price range. He is a member here and you can find him on Facebook, youtube, or Instagram.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 11:06 PM

Speaking of Jordan, a friend of mine was looking to buy a inexpensive Oud in Jordan, so I put him in touch with Tareq al Jundi, and Tareq connected him to a shop/school run by Omar Abbad in Amman.

Anyway, my friend was super happy with the Oud and price (Under $300 USD). Apparently, the particular Oud my friend bought is Syrian Arabic style made to the size of Turkish Ouds. I'm not sure how that will affect the sound because I'm not sure if it's Turkish length or Turkish depth of the bowl. I hope to hear the sound of the Oud soon.

Here's Omar's facebook https://www.facebook.com/omar.abbad.37?fref=ts&__mref=message_bu...

Check out the picture of the Oud he bought. It looks really nice for an Oud at that price.

whisperoftheoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-15-2016 at 11:09 AM

" cheap oud " is a izmir company http://www.cheapoud.com so you don't need to go there my feiend.they can send your oud to izmir but contact with them this is the best solution.
:xtreme:

Go To Top