Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Turkish Tambur Questions
jekksjekks
Oud Lover

exclamation.gif posted on 3-15-2016 at 07:03 AM
Turkish Tambur Questions

Hi!

So I can't access my old account because my email doesn't exist for that one but hello again, it's been some time since I've been on the forums.

I recently moved to Melbourne (Australia) and started up performing with the Mevlevi Society down here. I started, and still do perform, on my persian Tar. But in an effort to revive as much of the Mevlevi Tradition as possible the society have gifted me with a Tambur for practise at home. This tambur is still very much in working condition however I would like to get a new set of strings and maybe a replacement bridge. Of tantamount importance is a mezrab, the current one is just a chunk of plastic that I've started to sand to shape.

What I'm wondering is if anyone could help me out with any information on the instrument. I've got a bunch of books on turkish theory and some essays and journal articles which I've been using but none of them really discuss the instrument at great length.

If anyone can help point me in the right direction for strings, bridge, plectrum and also some info on the instrument it would be most helpful!

I actually picked it up and was able to sight read and play some tunes from the Ayin on sunday night. I was really impressed with how straightforward it is, especially given the sheer size of the neck and amount of frets is very daunting! (Even to a Tar player)
abc123xyz
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-16-2016 at 10:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jekksjekks  
So I can't access my old account because my email doesn't exist for that one but hello again, it's been some time since I've been on the forums.

What username did you have before?

David
jekksjekks
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-19-2016 at 04:46 PM

it was jekks. I did have another account before that but a similar thing had happened. now I can't remember what that user name was either!

Go To Top