Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Turkish oud, Kyvelos refurb $750
mac
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 12:52 PM
Turkish oud, Kyvelos refurb $750

Turkish oud for sale - $750
(plus shipping TBD or pickup near Boston)

Spruced up by oud master luthier Peter Kyvelos who then sold it to me. Label on the inside says “Cakanlar Muzik”. When it came Mr. Kyvelos, it was a an oud with potential but lacked a few details of set-up. Peter reset the bridge, put maple bushings in the tuning peg holes, redrilled for a more accurate fit, put in new tuning pegs, maybe did some work to the top to get it to resonate better.

The two-piece top is in wonderful condition and has a nice tone, also has a nice book-match to the grain figure. Rosettes are nice, but probably synthetic material, not bone.

21-stave body has an alternating burgundy/chocolate color pattern with a light veneer strip in between the staves. Not sure what kind of wood, the stain makes it difficult to be sure, but they alternate flat-sawn/quarter-sawn. Quarter-sawn staves may be walnut.

Pegbox is solid and well-made attractive black/blonde binding. Lovely ornament at the top. Tuning pegs are reliable and smooth, thanks to bushing and re-tapping by Mr. Kyvelos.

This instrument has a nice earthy midrange presence with solid focused lows. The high end is gentle, soft, works well with a light cow horn rishi. Action is very good, fingerboard very smooth, no bumps or buzzes.

Lacquer finish is okay, a little thick and overly shiny, but it’s the back of the oud and no one is looking at that part of the instrument too much. This is a solid upper-mid-grade oud, much better than your average starter oud and such details are typically not as important at that grade of construction.

The strings on the instrument right now are old and unmatched and set for an atypical tuning I was using on a few select tunes with a music ensemble for a few years. You can either restring it yourself or I can do so for you if you want a standard Turkish tuning like EABead.

Please contact me at mac@possumhall.com or 603.772.3447 if you are interested.

[file]38533[/file]

Go To Top