Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Çinuçen Tanrıkorur and Necdet Yaşar Documentaries (English Subtitles)
Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-26-2016 at 11:22 AM
Çinuçen Tanrıkorur and Necdet Yaşar Documentaries (English Subtitles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62vy56HEgQQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KghN1amOUuU

These two videos were treasures to find.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-26-2016 at 12:09 PM

Wow, thanks for these, Jono! I had no idea these existed. There are also documentaries on some of my favorite Turkish vocalists in this series. No subtitles on these though.
Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-26-2016 at 06:24 PM

:)
Unfortunate about the other ones in the series not having English subs, still going to check them out and understand the little Turkish I know.
Particularly the Tanburi Cemil Bey one.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-26-2016 at 10:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jono Oud N.Z  
:)
Unfortunate about the other ones in the series not having English subs, still going to check them out and understand the little Turkish I know.
Particularly the Tanburi Cemil Bey one.

You seem to have more videos in this series available in New Zealand. I see only 7 and Cemil Bey is not amongst them.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 09:56 AM

I watched the Cinuçen Tanrıkorur video last night. I was disappointed for several reasons. For one thing we don't get to hear him play very much. We hear snippets of his compositions but not enough to form an impression of their style or content. We hear enough of his singing to form an impression that it does not correspond to the spoken descriptions of it in the video. All in all the documentary is high on romanticism and nationalism and low on evidence to support the claims made in the film. For instance we are told that his oud style was something brand new but are not told what new things he introduced and what old things he did not do. We are told that on the traditional side of old things that he retained in his playing, that he played things based on the playing of Bacanos and Cemil Bey. These were two innovators who themselves introduced new things to playing of their respective instruments so I was left puzzled. We are not told what those things were either. We are also told that after Cinuçen's first radio broadcast oud players all over Turkey changed their way of playing overnight. I am dubious. But I'm ready to consider the evidence. What changes did they make to their playing? We are left guessing.
Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 10:39 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcShkvp-Xpk

I totally agree with your comments Jody.
The nationalistic stuff was sickening.

The Necdet Yasar documentary was far more enlightening.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 10:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jono Oud N.Z  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcShkvp-Xpk

I totally agree with your comments Jody.
The nationalistic stuff was sickening.

The Necdet Yasar documentary was far more enlightening.

ah! that is the link to the Cemil Bey video. It looks promising. It seems to be not a part of the same series though.

Yes the Necdet Yasar video was excellent and was made even better by the presence of Alâeddin Yavaşca, who also has his own video and who I think is an excellent singer and composer. His sama'i in Husseyni makes a fine oud piece.

Go To Top