Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Neck/Action resetting
Omar Al-Mufti
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 11:39 AM
Neck/Action resetting

Dear friends,
was there any post on repairing high action here?
I tried to search but I couldn't find.
I need to know the different ways to reset the neck.
Many thanks and thanks for any help.
Omar
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-28-2016 at 05:37 AM

Hello Omar

This way if you want to keep the fingerboard original
http://www.droud.com/neckreset.html

If not you can work on the neck reversement (in English : neck reversing ? Renversement de manche in french) by planning the neck in place, but this is a job which definitely need experience in luthery. As well as gluing a new fingerboard (I asked for this last solution on an oud, but there was only 3 mm to correct in the higher register)

How high is the action ? How much you want to correct ? Do you think the body-neck joint is solid and stable ?

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-28-2016 at 05:41 AM

As well as the neck/tuning keys box by the way: is it stable ?

Omar Al-Mufti
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 12:01 PM

thanks suz
No, It is not one of my ouds. Just for a friend who asked me for help
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 09:37 AM

There are three ways to reset the neck, depending on how high the action is.

1. If the action is 6mm or less, you can wedge the neck back a few mm: saw a kerf in the neck/block joint with a fine saw (Xacto razor saw or similar) 3-4 mm deep. place spacers at the top of the neck and at the tail block higher than the bridge, and put a board across these spacers. Apply pressure jut above the neck/block joint with a C-clamp, use the first string to measure the action. When the action is where you want it, crank an additional 1mm and glue a hardwood wedge in the kerf. After the glue cures, shave down the wedge flush with the fingerboard and check the action. Repeat if necessary.

2. If the action is more than 6mm, the neck needs to be completely removed and the angle at the end of the neck adjusted for the correct action. The glue joint can be loosened wwith warm water until a gap is opened at the back of the neck, then saw thru the dowel to remove the neck. Drill out the dowel in the neck and block, then clean the surfaces. Flatten the surface of the neck block carefully until it is flat. Sand the end of the neck to adjust the angle until the action is what you want, checking with the first string. Replace the dowel and glue it with hide glue, holding it in place for a minute, then set the oud upright until the glue cures. Check the action and repeat if necessary.

3. Send it to me or a luthier who knows how, it should cost $50-$100.

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 01:09 PM

Very interesting, thank you dr

Omar Al-Mufti
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-13-2016 at 02:56 AM

thanks so much Dr. Oud
elreyrico
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-13-2017 at 01:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Dr. Oud  
There are three ways to reset the neck, depending on how high the action is.

1. If the action is 6mm or less, you can wedge the neck back a few mm: saw a kerf in the neck/block joint with a fine saw (Xacto razor saw or similar) 3-4 mm deep. place spacers at the top of the neck and at the tail block higher than the bridge, and put a board across these spacers. Apply pressure jut above the neck/block joint with a C-clamp, use the first string to measure the action. When the action is where you want it, crank an additional 1mm and glue a hardwood wedge in the kerf. After the glue cures, shave down the wedge flush with the fingerboard and check the action. Repeat if necessary.

Hello Dr OUD,

I would like to do this on an 1978 oud which has 5 mm action. As i understand, i have to make a kerf in the fingerboard about 3-4 mm (until the saw starts cutting the neck below the fingerboard) ? is it right ?
I am also think of gluing a new fingerboard on top of the old one which is a bit worn. It could reduce the action also ?
Regards
Eric

Go To Top