Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Removing oud rosettes
Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 05:55 AM
Removing oud rosettes

I've noticed that my third string course has been buzzing for a couple of weeks now. I put new strings on but it hasn't made any difference. I was at my oud teacher's place today, and after some examination he is convinced it's the main rosette which is vibrating and says I should remove it [and the other two smaller ones].

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case: I've had the oud for nearly three years now and it's an inexpensive Turkish student oud. The rosette is moulded plastic. Do rosettes vibrate sometimes and cause buzzing and what's the best way to remove them if so?
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 06:17 AM

Yes that's often the case.

If you want to check, get someone to lightly put their finger on the rosette while you play to stop the vibration. if it doesn't vibrate and make that buzz anymore its probably the problem.

To remove the rosette, you should take the thinnest bent palette knife you can find from the art supplies store. You can heat the palette knife with a candle and work it under the face and the rosette. This is how I do it.

it helps to sharpen the tip of the knife to be even thinner.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
hans
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-15-2016 at 10:32 AM

I was advised to drip some aceton on where the rosette touches the wood, to loosen the glue
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 4-19-2016 at 10:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by hans  
I was advised to drip some aceton on where the rosette touches the wood, to loosen the glue

Acetone will soften some synthetic glues, but most ouds are made with hide glue, which requires warm water and heat to soften the glue. You can try it, just be careful prying the rose loose. the face is very thin and fragile at the hole edge.

Go To Top