Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Newly Discovered Farid Taqsim?!?
conroystoptime
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 11:16 AM
Newly Discovered Farid Taqsim?!?

Guys,

My uncle Gilbert sent this MP3 to me this past weekend, claiming it's an original Farid taqsim he's never heard anywhere else.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvmw3qrzd875avk/Farid%20Taqsim.mp3?dl=0

He found it on one of those Arabic-language forums years ago. I've tried to find this performance numerous times to verify its authenticity, but as a non-speaker, I can't make heads or tails of the forums, and those guys want nothing to do with me. :)

But it sounds just like him, doesn't it?

What do you think? Is this the maestro? The phrasing sounds just like him.

What do you think?
alaaraj
Oud Junkie

Mood: Tuning!

[*] posted on 4-13-2016 at 10:43 PM

It sounds like his indeed..
Farid Alatrache died in 1974 after a career that expanded for nearly 40 years, during which he created in excess of 500 musical pieces. Therefore it's likely that there are still plenty out there that we know nothing about ..

Thanks for sharing ..

:D

Onwards and upwards

HazRaj
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 4-15-2016 at 10:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by conroystoptime  
But it sounds just like him, doesn't it?

What do you think? Is this the maestro?

Well, I don't think so. I can't explain why not, but it didn't sound like the master's !
Maybe Farid's experts can help. I am not.

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
Badra
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 09:53 PM

I would also say it's not Farid. It's a player with who is obviously inspired by Farid and using some of his style phrases. But the ending at (1:34) has a very good Farid impersonation.
Khalil_Oud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 12:34 PM

At the beginning, I thought it was georges Michel, but we can notice at the end some phrases are typical to Farid al-Atrach, like you said, Badra. Also, the oud sound is very close to what sounds Farid oud playing, his resha too.

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 01:57 PM

At the end of taqsim phrases Farid sometimes stops the sustain in a certain way. In that way the note ends abruptly. There is no echo or reverberation in the oud. And sometimes he lets the sound of the last note go longer by reapplying finger pressure. This allows the note to slowly die. The oud player this recording ends his phrases with a slightly different effect on the last note than what I have heard on recordings that are for sure Farid El Atrash. My vote is that this is someone else.
Badra
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-18-2018 at 01:19 PM

The biggest giveaway is that this oud player plays some passages slower than Farid would, for sure. It happens throughout the recording.

It's not unusual for this kind of recording. Farid was the most popular oud player for a long time, and many people, myself included, copy him. Farid's #1 talent was composing music. And he famously did not take long to compose a song. And his taqsims show this creativity with their straightforward style, almost sounding pre-composed. This is why his taqsims have melodies that oud players try to copy. In my opinion...

Are there other pro oud players that have their taqsims copied almost note for note like Farid's taqsims? I'm curious.

Go To Top