Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: hrant fans check this out
hartun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 09:23 AM
hrant fans check this out

I'll admit that as a dilettante on the oud, it is hard for me sometimes to pick up just from listening whether an unnamed player in a recording is one person or another.

Nevertheless I found this clip and I thought it sounded like, if not Hrant, it's some oudist whose style is very close to Hrant's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_EOSbHwh-s

Aside from the sound of the oud, the reason I think that Hrant is playing is that he was the composer and lyricist of this particular sarki, and he was apparently friends with the singer, Afitap Karacan, who is seated next to him in the 1938 picture of his "20th Anniversary Concert" found in the liner notes of the Traditional Crossroads CD.

I also thought it was interesting that some later recordings of this that look like they were made in the last 10-15 years are quite boring and sung very slowly...(possibly trying to be too classical?)....not that I have problem with slow music, but this particular song doesn't sound very good that way (to me) - then when I discovered the Afitap Karacan version, it all made sense, the song sounds very good at this tempo, which appears to be the earliest recording and probably with the composer himself on oud.

So what do you guys think, is this Hrant or not?

Harry

adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 10:27 PM

Harry, to my ears it actually sounds more like Yorgo Bacanos. Are there other recordings with ud taksim intro? Great track!

Adam
hartun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-18-2016 at 01:29 PM

You are right it does sound like Yorgo. I got caught up thinking I had found a lost Hrant track. Great taksim and song regardless.
hartun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-18-2016 at 01:37 PM

http://youtu.be/PJbdAm75Iyc

Go To Top