Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Michael Moussa (re-post)
stevepalmer
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 5-11-2016 at 09:45 AM
Michael Moussa (re-post)

This is a re-post of a post I made last week, which became lost in the server change.

As some of you may remember, I was looking for a maker of a left-handed oud. After making some enquiries here I commissioned Michael Moussa to make one, and this oud I collected a week last Monday.

Michael welcomed me into his house with generosity and friendliness. We spoke about ouds, music, and the state of the world. Michael is an interesting man, and we had a lot to talk about!

Michael had asked me to bring some of my instruments with me, so I played the bawu, hulusi, and a couple of flutes for him; also the North African bendir hand-drum. I also brought an instrument which I thought was the Egyptian arghul, but in fact it is a midjweh! So Michael, when he visits Egypt next, is going to locate a proper arghul for me.

If any of you are considering the option of having an oud made here in Britain, I can thoroughly recommend Michael. Save those pennies, then commission him! You won’t regret it.

Steve…

stevepalmer
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 5-11-2016 at 09:46 AM

Here is the info requested on prices:

http://www.magicstrings.co.uk/prices.htm
nile pirate
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-11-2016 at 12:29 PM

What a beauty!!! another master piece of Ustaz Moussa. After the usual wow and congrats, I have 2 serious questions:
1. What does a left handed oud really mean, could inverting the strings make a left handed instrument, in one of his lectures Michael said it is not that simple especially if the internal structure is not symmetrical
2. How did you manage to commission Michael to make this beauty for you ? as far as I know he has never made any instrument to order, he does not commit himself due to lack of time and interest!!, we have just waited for his fantasies coming true which would alter our pre-set prejudices and expectations
Enjoy it fully and play it in good health
stevepalmer
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 5-14-2016 at 05:13 AM

Hi Nile Pirate!

When Michael and I spoke about the possibility of him making me a left-handed oud, he explained that only one which was symmetrical inside could be converted. The Egyptian style is one such style. Other styles are not symmetrical inside, and can't therefore be converted. One peg has also been moved in the peg box.

Michael has a number of half-made ouds, and the one you see in the photos above was in construction when I contacted him. He was able to carry on in left-handed mode. (i.e. it could have been either left or right handed.) I paid £100 extra for all the fancy designs.

Go To Top