Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trying to be like Said Chraibi
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 5-13-2016 at 10:50 PM
Trying to be like Said Chraibi

Trying to replicate Said Chraibi's Oud sound on Godin MultiOud. I think it needs a bit of work. But I like what I'm getting from the high strings.

https://soundcloud.com/nsgfunk/said-chraibi-1

Any suggestions?

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 5-14-2016 at 11:55 AM

Pretty nice, Navid — how does this work? I thought the multioud just sounded the way it sounds. You can somehow copy known profiles? I'd be curious to hear you do this with Simon Shaheen's sound.
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-14-2016 at 09:42 PM

There are some limitations. There will always be an element that is unique to the multioud in each sound. And this is based on my own experimentation listening to many recordings and at the same time matching the sounds of the Oud I'm listening to using the equalization, blending of pickups, and pre-programmed sound images on the multioud pre-amp. And then adding some help of the amplifier equalization as well.

So first of all, I'm copying digital recordings, which are not "true" when comparing to hearing the Oud acoustically live. But the MultiOud is largerly producing sound electronically anyway so I think it makes little difference.

Second of all, I'm testing on low volume settings. When the amp is louder during a performance, the amp equalization should be changed to match the needs of the room/hall environment.

I think it can actually be taken a step further if you had the right software. As the on-board pre-amp is programmable, they pre-programmed it with 4 sound images. If I understand correctly, Godin went into a studio and recorded the multioud acoustically with 4 different microphones and applied equalization, programmed those images into the pre-amp and poof, with the switch of a button you have a completely different sounding Oud. And then with each image you can apply equalization to it on top of that.

So if they can do that, would it also be possible to record acoustic Ouds, and pre-program the sound into the pre-amp making the MultiOud sound close to the acoustic Oud recorded. This would be a similar effect to having an effects pedal for a guitar. Imagine, one setting for a antique Nahat Oud, one setting for Floating bridge, one setting for Faruk Turunz double soundboard, etc.

majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-16-2016 at 09:47 PM

Hey Brian,

Here's Simon.

https://soundcloud.com/nsgfunk/simon-shaheen-replica-on-multioud

Go To Top