Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Advice for New player
Jorje
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-16-2016 at 05:01 AM
Advice for New player

HEllo guys

Im a non professional guitar player with no musical theory background, but i have good ear and good coordination.

Its been a year since i got my Ibarhim sukar oud i think its 201a model which i cant find anymore on the web. (i wanted to post a link)
Its the one that has round rosette instead of oval one.

In this past year I learned 7 main maqams thorough web (Ajam, Kurd, Bayat, Hijaz, Rast, Saba, Sikka) and even learned few simple songs like Lama Bada. Now i feel little stuck with no improvment. Im not familiar with the Maqam logical ideas in the way that i dont understand the logic about how it works and how to connect few maqams together and making clear phrases with the oud. still i can do make some Taqsim short phrases .
one more thing its that i feel like i dont have a real arabic "accent" on the oud with all that nice pull offs and tremolo.

my questions for you guys is :

Is it even possible to learn playing the oud with no teacher.
What is your opinions for learning methods for my stage. I really like Farid al atrah and abed al halim hafezs music.
Since im playing guitar i feel like stuck in circles cause my nature is to consider the oud like a guitar without taking more farther . (does anyone been to that situation)
and one last think - How crucial to have a theoretic maqamat knowledge

Let me know what you think

Thank you :)
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 5-16-2016 at 10:40 PM

Some quick things:

It is possible to learn Oud without a teacher, but you really have to use your ears, and you really have to watch a lot of Oud playing on youtube. Those are your teachers.

If you want to get some technique out of the Oud, watch and listen, then guess how that phrase might be played. Then experiment, be free, don't worry about being right. Think like a kid in a sandbox.

With this in mind, some practical knowledge of good technique helps make this process faster, specially with down and up strokes. Also important using the right fingers on the left hand to up and down the fingerboard. These videos will help.
http://www.oudforguitarists.com/december-oud-exercise-challenge/

Choose one song at a time, and try to learn it by ear or whatever. I don't know how many hours I've spent just listening to my favourite music and playing along. Break down the music in your mind to the bare necessities of the melody, then as you get comfortable, add the harder embellishments.

Do the same thing with taqasim. Just play a recording that you like, try to sing or hum the melody, and translate that on the Oud.

How are you with quarter tones/half flats yet? This video will help.
https://www.facebook.com/navid.goldrick/videos/10154376308989448/

Some basic knowledge of the way Maqamat are put together help. But listening to a lot of music is really the only way you're going to learn the feeling and vibe of it. Hum or sing the melodies you like, and put them on the Oud.

I really can't emphasis enough using your voice to help you along the way.

There are great free resources like Jamil Bashir's Oud method too which can take you pretty far if you have the discipline to learn without a teacher.

Jorje
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-17-2016 at 01:51 AM

Thank you Navid

Do you have any recommendations for some essential songs which is good to start with?
Can you maybe post a link.
By the way I bought your Beginners pack from OudFoeGuitarist, and i found it very useful, learn so much from it.

Thank you man!!
J.

Christian1095
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-10-2016 at 02:12 PM

Hey, check out "Simplified Middle Eastern Songs for Learning and Practice" by Melissa Murphy (it's on iTunes) - they are super simple, but will give you some songs.

Regards

Chris Walters

Go To Top