Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: arabic ouds by turkish makers
juju
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-18-2016 at 12:13 AM
arabic ouds by turkish makers

Hi,
Many turkish makers produce arabic tuned ouds. It seems to be common now.
I've never tried those ouds. I'd like to share your impressions about those ouds. What are the difference between those ouds and the ones made by arab makers ?
More sustain ?
A turkish sound with arab tuning ?

best.
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-19-2016 at 12:25 PM

no one ?
ok i'll give a try
i appreciate those turkish made ouds for their sound and playability. Usually I find those more playable, with a less deep bowl
on the sound it's really a difficult exercice to put words on sound. How to say. More dynamic, more reactive, more sensible than the so called classical arabic oud.
I say " so called " because it's difficult to make generalities. What is an arabic classical oud ?
But usually if you want to draw a clear frontier between classical arabic and turkish made arabic oud, you will hear the classical is more deep, round, more bassy sound

I love the kind of sound of arabic oud by turkish maker, but not for all kind of playing.
So the idea..Don't follow taste / feedbacks from others. Make some tries, take your time, listen, and most imortant seek for the sound that meets your style.
You'll need time and maybe several buy and sale if you don't want to take this time.

Among some turkish makers that make arabic ouds: Yildirim, Ali Nisadir, Turunz, Mehmet Caymaz, Hatef Shaterian: but you can find so many more

Best of luck !

hamed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Iss'al rouhak

[*] posted on 5-19-2016 at 08:47 PM

I agree with suz_i_dil that Arabic ouds built by Turkish luthiers are more responsive and playable, cleaner and crisper sound, but because of this fact I think they lose some essence of Arabic sound, which to my ears more "rugged".

I've owned Arabic tuned ouds from Master builders Faruk Turunz and Yildirim Palabiyik, both are superior instruments, but I have to say Yildirim's oud is the closest I have heard a Turkish oud come to Arabic sound (cedar face).. it's also by far the best oud I have played. again, this is only my experience.

Go To Top