Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: bad treble string sound
mysticoud
Oud Addict

Mood: YAY!

[*] posted on 2-8-2005 at 08:38 PM
bad treble string sound

I've been listening to the sound of my oud when I play, and I have a question. The wound (bass) strings sound fine and resonate very well considering my cheaply made oud, but the nylon (treble) strings clang and buzz and sound way too bright.:( I have been using LaBella strings. Is this a string issue or a technique issue? I've never had a personal oud lesson so I know my technique is noobish at best. I just want to sound like everybody else, that classic haunting oud sound.
thanks.
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 2-8-2005 at 11:16 PM

Maybe the strings in a course are too close together (check the spacing at the nut, see if they are seated properly in the nut). Also the action maybe too low for these string. One thing about the LaBella strings that I have seen, they are not for Arabic tuning, even though they are labeled as such. So the tension maybe too low for the treble.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 11:40 AM

Elie has good observations, some other possibilities are:
Strings are too close together at the bridge (rather than the nut)
fingerboard is not even
soundboard is not braced properly
the slots in the nut are cut too deeply (the strings don't vibrate freely, though this only really affects the open string sound).

In all likelihood, there is probably more than one factor at work.

improper spacing at the bridge and poor bracing are very common ailments with cheap ouds, as are neck problems (some of which would result in the fingerboard being uneven). Poor technique will certainly give you less than optimum sound, as will strings that are too light for the tuning/length of the strings.

do you have an arabic or turkish oud, and what tuning are you using?
mysticoud
Oud Addict

Mood: YAY!

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 05:28 PM

Well, the strings at the nut look ok, and at the bridge they are good. The grooves in the nut could have been filed better though. When I got the oud, there was a slight lip at the neck/body joint which i had to sand out with a sanding block, and that fixed the buzz in the bass strings. I know for a fact that the bracing is sub-par at best because there is a dramatic dip just above the bridge (kinda scary actually). Also, there is a few gaps under the bridge where light comes through.
I've heard loose braces on guitars, but this sounds different. It sounds like the strings are hitting the fingerboard below my fingers but they aren't.
I bought a turkish oud from lark in the morning. I think it's the second cheapest that they offer (or else I got ripped off lol). It's total trash. I should have asked someone where to get a good one. I think I paid ~ $320.
I've done so much work to this oud, trying to make it more playable and easier on the eyes. I think it's time to start building one. I've made a few flamenco guitars and jameel makes oudmaking look so easy.
I'm using the standard turkish tunings, EABead (concert).
But if it's just a technique thing, then I can hold off making an oud until I can play one right.
Thanks for your replies.

Go To Top