Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Do you know any Syrian/Iraqi classical musicians?
Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2016 at 10:46 AM
Do you know any Syrian/Iraqi classical musicians?

Hi all,

I am in the process of researching my dissertation, which focuses on the role and use of traditional music in Iraq and Syria at the time of the current conflicts. I will be looking at what kinds of music [if any] are being currently spread in the region, what songs are played more than others and how people use music to create a sense of nationalism or unity.

Really I am looking to speak to ANY Syrian/Iraqi classical musicians - it does not have to be oud. Also you do not have to still live in the region, if you have recently left I still want to hear from you.

I hope this topic is acceptable. If you are from the region, have recently left, or know someone, please reply to this thread, send me a U2U, or email me - 616601[at]soas.ac.uk

++++++++ some more info +++++++++

The working title is "The role of traditional music in the Syrian/Iraqi civil conflicts". I expect this to change before the final version.

The kinds of areas I am seeking to address are:

- How and what kinds of traditional music [songs, styles] are
currently disseminated through Syria and Iraq and beyond?
- How does refugee passage influence the kinds of instrumentation and
music disseminated?
- How does music help to instill or sustain a sense of nationalism,
patriotism, belonging and unity?
- What songs are continually written, played, or used to represent
their nations?

I am hoping to conduct interviews this month [June 2016] with 2-3 Syrian nationals and 2-3 Iraqi nationals.

Thanks for any help.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-6-2016 at 11:04 AM

Why limit it to classical? unfortunately one of the many casualty of the war has been classical music in a sense that it no longer is being played in many of the festivals that used to take place during peace time. I have seen videos of Hussein Sabsaby hanging out with his friends in Damascus and playing traditional music in an underground fashion. Maybe talk to him...

for better or worse these days it is populist types of music are prevalent and many "famous" singers come out and takes sides in the conflict.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2016 at 11:30 AM

Good question. Even though all kinds of music can address nationalist and political problems, classical songs and folk songs have a greater history. I am interested in seeing which older songs are being used to represent a sense of nationalism and patriotism in the current conflict and how the songs of the past can unite those in the present. Essentially how music can become a 'nationalist model' through the decades. I know that people are more likely to take to popular music to express their anger and frustration but I still feel classical can be relevant, so I will be looking into the extent of this.

Thanks for suggesting Huosain Sabsaby, I have contacted him over FB, hopefully I will get a response....
hye_jynx
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-7-2016 at 03:18 AM

Hello Lysander,

I know the oud student of Naseer Shamma who is Iraqi. I think he may well be on these boards. I will point your post out to him.

Also, the father of Sara Al-Hadithi, the Iraqi dancer out of California, is a good resource.

Lysander , are you familiar with Zeyad Kasem who runs the Iraqi Maqam forum on facebook and who had a blog and a youtube channel of the same? He is in touch with all of the best Iraqi musicians.It is a closed forum now. I will ask him as well or point this out to him.

hye_jynx
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-7-2016 at 03:18 AM

Lysander,

Here is the FB link to Sadi Al Hadithi. He is London based. He may be able to put you in touch with London-based Iraqi classical musicians. It may be worth a try to message him.Hope this is kind of what you were looking for? You may also want to try Amir Saffer in London according to Sara.

https://www.facebook.com/Sadi-Al-Hadithi-%D8%B3%D8%B9%D8%AF%D9%8A-%D...

Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-7-2016 at 03:38 AM

hye_jynx, your help is very much appreciated indeed. The problem I am having with FB is that artists get a lot of requests from users and some of them get missed or just put on the shelf. I have sent many requests out but have had no takers as yet.

Please point people in the direction of this thread. I am hoping to conduct interviews this month through Skype, email, FB, whatever people think is convenient. I will mention anyone who helped, whether they pointed me in the direction of someone successfully or of course, participated in the interview process. Any classical musician who is resident in Syria/Iraq is ideal, but if they have recently left that is also good.

Go To Top