Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: quill risha
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 6-13-2016 at 02:49 PM
quill risha

my-my ... been aeons since i've visited and had to use a complex and instantly forgettable password to do so.

never mind ...

anyone know where (online) i might discover how to make a quill plectrum? i have what i think is a buzzard feather.

graziemille - bill

spyblaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-15-2016 at 01:41 PM

An Iraqi friend told me they put the feather in olive oil for about 6-12 months and then remove the material inside it. The rest would be obvious.

P.S. contact me for hand made horn rishas with great prices.

The Oud is my life, n my life is the Oud
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 11:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by billkilpatrick  
my-my ... been aeons since i've visited and had to use a complex and instantly forgettable password to do so.

never mind ...

anyone know where (online) i might discover how to make a quill plectrum? i have what i think is a buzzard feather.

graziemille - bill

Ciao Bill,There are different ways to make a quill plectrum. One is the Iraqi where you store the half-finished quill plectrum in olive oil for about 6 months. I do remember that I would demonstrate how to make such a plectrum but unfortunately things got in the way and it was forgotten. But because you have what you think is a buzzard feather that is considerably smaller in size than an equivalent feather of an golden eagle you have to use a different part of the quill because of the smaller size. See the photo of a primary wing-feather of a golden eagle (legally bought in the EU with CITES) next to the finished plectrum. What is the length of the buzzard feather? There is an article somewhere online but I can not find it at the moment, which shows how to make a what I recall a medieval plectrum of a bird of prey feather.

Best wishes

Ronny
newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-1-2016 at 01:44 AM

I also had the idea of making my own eagle's risha. I asked at a bird's of prey park nearby, they wanted from 10 up tp 75 Euro for one feather. So I thought I'd better stick to horn rishas . . . :shrug:
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-24-2016 at 05:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by billkilpatrick  

never mind ...

graziemille - bill

Bill wherever you are, it's this article I had in mind. Found it by chance today when I was going through old papers and it showed that I had printed it.

Best wishes

Ronny

Go To Top