Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The curious case of a (probably) fake Fadel
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-14-2016 at 12:30 AM
The curious case of a (probably) fake Fadel

A few weeks ago a friend called me to tell me that he has a relative leaving Lebanon for good and she's selling everything including her husband's old oud. I met the lady (and the oud), and all she knew about it is that it was made by someone famous in Iraq and that her husband (who was a professional musician) changed the rosette with one with his own name on. I looked inside and there was a Mohamad Fadel Label , 8-3-1967, nbr: 3617.
Ok we all know the drill, Fadel labels mean nothing and the oud is totally assymetrical in bowl shape and bridge position, I was about to say that I am not interested and politely leave , but the build is clean and aside from a high action and a small crack on the face and lot of dust, the oud seemed in good shape for a 50 years old oud.
It had three strings remaining, so I (kinda) tuned them and played and the sound was very nice.
The asking price was slightly above the price of a fake and way below a genuine Fadel, so I decided to play the oud Russian Roulette and got it.

Long story to say that there is something about the sound of this oud that I like a lot. Fake or not, I don't know but after fixing the action and putting new strings, I can say that I like it, what do you think?

Raw recording (zoomH6) click to download

Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

Mood: Sunbati Obsession

[*] posted on 7-16-2016 at 02:11 AM

Congratulations !

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 7-22-2016 at 07:19 PM

Interestingly, the beautiful oud Mohammad Fadel is holding in his photograph above the label is not perfectly symmetrical either... or maybe it's just the angle in which he's holding it?

Go To Top