Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: An added benefit for Westerner oud-players
Eric Stern Music
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-17-2016 at 10:16 AM
An added benefit for Westerner oud-players

When I was a teenager learning piano my teacher always had me sing whatever jazz song I was learning, sing solos and exercises and at the time (because I was a teenager) I hated it, but after awhile it got to be an ingrained habit that I just continued into adulthood. I practiced like this when I first began learning oud and throughout my study. Before studying oud I had tried, once in awhile to sing maquam that weren't equally-tempered, songs in beyati, rast, etc., but my voice would always hit the piano note and nothing in-between. Once I started studying oud I could hit the notes vocally as long as my fingers were playing them on the oud. But now, I just realized that from playing oud and singing along the whole time, I can now hit those notes with my voice without the oud! So IF singing quarter tones is at all interesting to you, I recommend singing the whole time you practice. It took me two or three years, but it's VERY rewarding as a Westerner to be able to sing in commas!
franck leriche
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 01:40 AM

You are absolutely right, but it's not rewarding for westerners only!!!
I have been a vocal student of Dr. Hossein Omoumi for three years, also easterners need to practice singing.
Omoumi used to say that all great musicians can sing well. He added also that those who do not sing are boring....
Eric Stern Music
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 12:00 PM

I suppose you're right! I'm for boosting musicality all over the world! It can only make things better...

Go To Top