Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I inherited an oud, strings and books..now what?
RBesaw
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-17-2016 at 07:50 PM
I inherited an oud, strings and books..now what?

Hello. First please forgive me if I am writing in the wrong place. It took me quite a while just to figure out how to become part of this forum, so I hope I am doing everything okay. I would like to ask for your help in determining perhaps who made this oud? I assume the picture of the fellow inside the oud is the maker? I would like to know an approximate value as I will be selling it. I have 7 books also that will go with it and strings too.

here is a link to pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143069316@N08/
crmdgn
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-18-2016 at 09:38 AM

- Did its former owner tell you anything about its age, where he/she got it, etc.?

- Can you get a clearer & more complete photo of the inside label?

- Where are you located, roughly? Country, region? (There are luthiers scattered far and wide; there might be one near you who can give you an informed opinion about it.)

(Not related to the oud itself, but what language are the books in?)
markus
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-24-2016 at 03:32 AM

Dear fellow udi
Your oud is Egyptian made by an Egyptian luthier called Samir Hamido who is one of the best commercial oud producers but still much far below the professionals like Maurice shehata or Fathi Amin, this style has been popular in the last 10 years
I hope this does not put you off your oud, Hamido's ouds though commercial are quite playable with no buzzing or action problems
best of luck. you can ask for 250-300 $
Greco-Egyptian

Go To Top