Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tanburi Rob :-)
RobMacKillop
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-27-2016 at 12:41 PM
Tanburi Rob :-)

Hi folks. It's a long time since I last visited. I've had an on-off relationship with Turkish ouds and tanburs, but am determined to keep focussed this time, as I have more time.

I've started again to play the Turkish tanbur, and have created a website to enthuse about the instrument, its players and luthiers, while uploading videos of my own journey with the instrument.

With a certain degree of humour, I've called it TanburiRob.com. Here's a direct link to the Blog section, where I will be discussing my latest uploads:

https://tanburirob.com/2016/08/26/starting-again-three-videos/

The website is only a few days old, and will develop over time. Comments there and here are welcome.

Any Turkish tanbur players here?

Rob

https://tanburirob.com/2016/08/26/starting-again-three-videos/
freya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy in the mountains of WNC

[*] posted on 8-27-2016 at 06:14 PM

Rob,

Thanks so much for posting here. I was following your tanbur stuff a few years ago and was sad to see it put on hold. I only have a cumbus tanbur (currently set up for bowing with a "yayli" bridge) but have wanted to dig deeper into the instrument. It seems that my fret positions are way off but I can deal with that. One question that I have not been able to resolve by web searching is what the expected string height (say where the neck meets the body) should be. The cumbus tanbur action is adjustable but if set too low compromises the string tone. Could you share the string height on your instrument where the neck meets the body?

Thanks,
Harry

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-27-2016 at 08:35 PM

Rob, one thing you probably realize but the parts of your website I saw did not make clear, is that Turkish notation is written a fourth higher than it usually sounds and that the actual pitch may be something yet again in certain contexts. For instance: the pitch and the fret Segah is not likely to sound like a variety of B even though it looks like that on the page and the pitch the fret Rast will produce is more likely to be D than G even though it looks like G on the page. For this reason reading Turkish music and playing it on the oud (I've never attempted tanbur) makes my eyes spin especially because I'm more used to Arabic tuning where Rast is represented on the page by C. So I finger Rast on the Turkish oud and it sounds as D as I'm expecting C and I'm reading it as G. If I call it Rast and not C or D or whatever it's easier, and easier still if I don't think at all.
BTW, I'm glad to see you included Izzettin Ökte in your Players page. I like his music a lot.
RobMacKillop
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-28-2016 at 12:06 AM

Freya - nice to hear from you. I'll measure the string height later today, but I wouldn't rely too much on that figure. Tanburs are expected to sink downwards under the bridge, and the maker gave me two bridges, one taller than the other. The sinking happened too quickly for my liking, and soon even the taller bridge was not tall enough. I actually sold the instrument to a local musician, and he installed an even higher bridge, but now the strings are buzzing in the lower positions again. I don't know how high we can go before the whole thing cracks. Now, is this a fault of the Scottish weather, or the manufacturer? I'd like to know. I hope to upgrade eventually.

Jody - nice to see you here. Yes, I haven't had time to go into detail yet about such things, but they are in the pipeline. I also need time to get my head around them too. I'm aware that Segâh is a moveable feast, but exactly when and where is a mystery to me at the moment. This is where I get frustrated at myself for my poor ability in learning languages - I've never been good at it, and Turkish is not easy! And this is one of the reasons for going public with my learning, in the hope that those who know better can inform me, if they have the time and inclination. Also, 99.9% of the people I mention the tanbur to have never heard of it, know nothing about it. So, technicalities aside, the website has already generated a few messages and emails from friends and strangers. It's been online for less than a week, and I intend to expand it over time, but I'm still very much a beginner on the instrument.
And, yes, Izzettin Ökte is a wonderful player. Quite different to Necdet Yasar.
RobMacKillop
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-28-2016 at 05:27 AM

Freya - it's 7mm at the body/neck joint. Should probably be a little higher to stop the buzzing on the lowers frets.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-28-2016 at 09:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RobMacKillop  

And, yes, Izzettin Ökte is a wonderful player. Quite different to Necdet Yasar.

Ökte is a skilled minimalist and achieves a lot using few notes. He makes excellent use of silence. His renders compositions with "magnetic" clarity. In taksim playing he tends to stay within a given makam for some time. Yasar is a magician in taksim. He starts out in one makam and makes a coherent musical statement. When he's done with his statement the listener realizes that the walls which had been red at the beginning are now painted blue. He has changed the makam without making it blatantly apparent that he's doing that.
The listener is left wondering : now how did he manage that?
RobMacKillop
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-28-2016 at 11:36 AM

Yes, it is the silence in Ökte's playing that grabbed me on first hearing.

As for Yasar's modulations - I'm not up to hearing the subtleties at the moment. Much listening to do!
RobMacKillop
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-29-2016 at 11:05 PM

I have good news: I made contact with Murat Aydemir, and he tells me he is bringing out a tuition DVD, and it will be available in a version dubbed in English. Just what I need!
alchemy
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 10-31-2016 at 08:41 AM

Hi Rob, congratulations for getting back into practice! I've read your website a few times, it's one of the first ones I found in english with some information about the Tanbur. I don't play that instrument myself but I do play Turkish Ûd. I would love to get a Tanbur some day but it's a bit expensive to get a nice one, specially to South America.
I wish you all the best in your practice endeavors.
Jack_Campin
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-4-2016 at 05:02 PM

I can't access Rob's site on this computer. But since someone here has mentioned the yayli tanbur: anyone here play it? I've love the sound but trying to bring one back from Turkey has always seemed too difficult - do you disassemble it for transport? (I need to write a sequel to "United Breaks Guitars" - "KLM Busted My Davul").

Go To Top