Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ulmia scraper burnisher - gratziehen die Ziehklinge :)
antekboodzik
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-28-2016 at 12:18 PM
Ulmia scraper burnisher - gratziehen die Ziehklinge :)

Hello everybody,
I just picked on some sale this Ulmia made cabinet scraper burnisher. I have cleaned it carefully, de-rusted metal parts in citric acid and even put a light coat of varnish. But I can't figure out how it works. I was trying to "slide" some thin scrapers against the disc, and along the side of metal "rail" with groove on it, but it looks it would only work when a scraper is pretty thick (1.5-2 mm I guess)... Or maybe the burnishing "disc" is not protruding enough from the indetation, hence this tool winded up to the flea?

Is it even a tool designed for a serious job, or just another not especially needed contraption?

Please, help :)

jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-28-2016 at 02:17 PM

It is so long since I last posted on the forum that I had trouble recalling my password! Life can get in the way.

Here is the 'official' instruction on how to use this tool

https://www.ulmia.de/English/Downloads/42.pdf

On the other hand you may be right about the effectiveness of the tool. Here is an amusing on-line discussion about the most useless tools ever made/purchased. If one scrolls down to Kermit dated 03-05-2007 the following comment is posted 'Oh. There is that Ulmia wheelie scraper burnisher I bought when I thought there was some mystery to sharpening a cabinet scraper. Still in the original box. Up on the top shelf. Right .... there. See'

http://forum.woodenboat.com/archive/index.php/t-62223.html
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-28-2016 at 02:54 PM

BTW (by the way) one danger of purchasing larger tools is that one may suffer regular adverse comment from one's SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed - a term of endearment for wife or female partner) as reported by Dan McCosh in the previously posted thread whose useless 13 ton pipe bender is now referred to as 'that thing you bought'. Beware!

Go To Top