Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New here, seeking advice on Oud pricing.
RichardY
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-31-2016 at 02:20 AM
New here, seeking advice on Oud pricing.

Hello,
I've just signed up, in hopes of some advice on a very 2nd hand Oud I have. For years I presented medieval music in schools and on heritage sites. I love the sound of the Oud, but I'm not an Oud / Lute player, I confess, and probably never will be, as I grow my nails on both hands to play wire-strung early harps. And I need at least two lifetimes :)
So I bought this Oud, (back street Edinburgh 2nd hand shop) to represent the link between Arabic music and the European Lute, and hugely enjoyed playing a few medieval Spanish tunes on it. It has a formica fingerboard, so withstands my nails well. It's been played with delight by many children, as a drone instrument behind tunes I was playing on other instruments.
Now I'm changing work patterns and reducing my large instrument collection. The Oud deserves to have a new life being played, but I've no idea of its market value, and will welcome any advice here, please.

The label, translated by my neighbour's kind Imam, says, "Umari Abdur Rahman made and prepared this musical instrument in the city/town of Awlaad Bunaji, Rashidiya, 4/95." So it's 21 years old. Rashidiya appears to be in Dubai. I can't find Awlaad Bunaji.

It's a proper soundboard, not plywood. Sadly there's a pressure crack on one side of the board but this doesn't appear to impare the sound, and there's a small piece (roughly 3/4" triangle) knocked into the body from the back - it's never had a case, I regret. I have nothing to compare it to, but it makes a good strong sound to my ear, and it holds its tuning well. The action feels to be a comfortable height to me.
So it's not in top condition, but could easily be repaired, and plays well.
I'm hoping somebody here knows about this maker, and can comment on the quality of his instruments, and likely prices. I'd like to find it a new home, and get a sensible, realistic price. (I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.)

With many thanks for reading, and for any comment,
Richard.
ilnokaly
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-31-2016 at 03:32 AM

Welcome Richard!
Perhaps you can post some pictures of the oud and a sound or a video clip. it will be easier for us to answer you

Go To Top